Rebuild or Buy New - Scored piston on my 150

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Jordan

Reaction score
The news gets worst. I took my 1995 Jonson 150 into repair last week cause it was running ruff. Got the call, It has 2 scored cyliders and piston 3 is breaking at the top and bad compression on the right side ie 140/45/95.

I have 3 option

1 rebore, new VRO, fix carbs and water pump ~$3500

2 2 new short blocks , vro, carb, and water pump ~4800

3 New engine 1509 hp ~9K, or 115hp around 7K

The boats a 1989 nitro 1800tf and I like it ans there's nothing wron with it.

Left side compression is 128/120/120 ( that's ok)

Reason for failure was carburation problem common with johnson faststrike; that I didn't catch. The problem looks like VRO but it really a bad carborator

I have a rebuilt currently running and it's as goos as new. Just be sure that the rebuild is by an "experienced" and reputable shop. Customary to get a one year warranty. Check references...

Dave, believe me when I say, I FEEL your pain. Went through it myself this year. I opted for the rebuild! $3,400, with a new VRO, but hey, it could be worse. 2 weeks after I got it back, I had to rebuild the lower unit TOO!!!!! $1,300 more!

Look at this site...It has intrigued me in the past. $7k for new/demo w/ warranty Ficht 135hp

Greg I have looked at the site myself and thought that the deals are almost too good to be true. I would like to talk to someone that has bought a motor from them to see what they think.

Bear

I can order a rebuilt 115 - 150 at a huge marine rebuilding center near me for 3.5-4K w/ a 90 day Warrantee and the will take my old motor as trade and that pays for the setup and rigging

WHERE????? Thanks a LOT Dave, where were you when I posted about my blown power head? LOL

sorry Rob, but I just found out about that deal just 1 hour ago

DON'T go with the 115. The 150 is a much stronger running engine and you would be very unhappy.

For once, I agree with Scott! LOL On the TF 1800, it barely gets above 55 mph with a 150. A 115 would be massively under-rated.

with the way your describing a piston breaking at the top i'd have to say it most likely wasn't carburation problems, sounds more like detonation to me.

found a new merc 125 for a good price ($6200)and i will b negotiating a deal tommorrow. thanks to all

Latest posts

Back