Dumb question - Battery recharging?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a dumb question. I purchased a new PT175 a couple of months ago. It has an onboard charger that I plug into AC. Anyone know if I run my 25 HP 4-stroke outboard does the outboard charge my trolling battery? I have had a few people tell me it should, but I don't see how it would, without an alternator. I fish on a trolling motor only lake so I have only used the outboard one time. Thanks for any help.

Paul,

The Tm battery is not part of the O/B, the TM battery will only be charged by the onboard charger that you plug in. If you don't use your o/b that much you shold charge it with another charger evry now and then.

CJL

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going out on the river tomorrow but my TM battery is not charged and I store my boat about 30 miles from my house. Wasn't sure if I ran the O/B if it would charge.

Paul,

one of the biggest things for long life of a Deep Cycle battery (TM battery) is to charge it as soon as possible.

I only have a single bank charger so I plug my TM battery in to charge as soon as I get home.

The night before I go fishing,I switch over to my cranking battery to make sure it is topped off.ALL of my accessories are on my cranking battery,and the outboard will usually keep it charged if I run alot.But I want to make sure when I hit the key in the morning it fires.

Steve

Back