Drift Sock

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone ever use a drift sock? I have a bass tracker and when the wind blows the boat moves at a rapid pace (I fish strip mines so the wind funnels threw the strip mine). Just wondering how effective drift socks are. I have two 20# anchors and some days that won't even hold the boat. Thanks

We routinely use drift socks for multiple reasons... one being the situation you mentioned... Begin to experiment with one and you will find a lot of situational uses...

Drift socks are great, I use em all the time on Lake St Clair when we drift and drag for smallies.

Don't use it a whole lot but, wouldn't be without one either...they are invaluable;)

Just make sure you step up to the next size recomended for your boat...that way you have a lil' more control.

Where I fish I think I would be snagging that boy all the time in submerged brush piles and timber.

I've dangled my feet over the side a few times, but I always had my socks off. :lol:

I've never used a drift sock. The areas I fish - I'd be just like Marty - snagging brush piles all day long.

All the best,

Glenn

You find out how the boat is going to drift then, you tie it off accordingly so as not to get hung up. It doesn't happen as much as you think....and it pretty much stays on top with good movement.

Here in Kansas -- the wind is always there.. The drift sock I use is wieghted at the bottom and flotation on the top.. Olny draws about 2 1/2feet.... Just watch your TM-- seen guys get it snaged on it..

Rick

Wow Hale Damage, I didn't know the draft was only 2 and 1/2 feet. However, if you're in the stumps at Truman or deep in the timber in coves at the other lakes, not even mentioning Bone Creek, using a drift sock would be the same as tying off on the bank :D:D:D.

I use mine alot. I clipped a Carabeaner (?) type clip to the end of the strap to easily clip it onto which ever cleat I need to angle the boat to.

Make sure the connecting strap or rope has a small flotation buoy for the times you forget to connect it ;)

The socks that have a "dump" strap that connects to the bottom of it are alot easier on your back when hauling it back on board.

The more rope you play out, the slower you will drift. As Hale stated, they don't go very deep, I have never snagged mine yet.

And never hook it to the rear of the boat on a lake like Erie. :eek:

Steve

I have thought about getting one too and use it on the river i fish to slow down my drift in certain areas.

Thanks guys. I think I will get one in the spring. Most of the fishing I do is in a strip mine so I don't have to worry about stumps.

Pete, You bring up a good point, if the reason yo need the drift sock is "current" rather than "wind", will it work? Wouldn't the drift sock be moving in the current just as fast as the boat? You might have meant wind on the river you fish but that question popped into my head.

TOXIC

I am fishin out of a 18' aluminum bass boat ( xpress X60 ). I got two 30 inch drift socks. A 30 inch is too small for this boat but two will do just fine. I can tie one to bow and the other to stern and this boat should track side ways ( I hope). I have not had a chance to use them but will this spring. Also figured I could tie one in front of the other and get the benefits of having one large one. On a lite wind day, use one or on a strong wind day, use two. I bought these off of ebay for $32.00 plus $7.00 shipping and they appear to be of good quality. The seller has good feed back. I don't know if this is a good deal but here is a link to his ebay add......

http://cgi.ebay.com/2ea-Sea-Drifter-Anchor-30-Fishing-Boat_W0QQitemZ200062476605QQihZ010QQcategoryZ384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and for other size socks

http://stores.ebay.com/Best-Bargainz_Fishing-Accessories_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

being a guy that likes his critters with teeth, I use drift socks for a few purposes & I carry multiple size pairs of socks 15", 20" & 40" ers (the 40's were 1st time venturing into sock usage & used a man's mentality that bigger has to be better! Not so in drift socks, match them to your purpose & rig size. I mostly use them for trolling speed control (aka..poor man's kicker motor). With the pair of 40's deployed my Opti has a hard time even moving the boat unless running a lot (TON!) of throttle & scaring any fish within an acre away out of the area. And if only one is deployed & it's not dead center behind the boat, even at full steer lock, the boat is difficult at best to keep on a straight line course unless the throttle is cranked up quite a bit (again, see clearing out all fish within an acre of boat) The 15's were a 2nd attempt at getting it right & those are a tad too small but work well when trolling cranks at a slightly higher speed (about 2-2.5 MPH). The 20's are perfect for trolling crawler harnesses for eyes (.7-1.5 MPH), slow drifting for stump carp in a river, slow drifting open water drop offs, etc. As far as the socks themselves, I'm partial to the Cabella's Pro Sock. Thin, light weight, fast drying nylon material, easily deployed/retrieved, dump line for pulling effortly, bottom weight/top flotation for dependable-self deploying. I do use the Cabella's 7 foot harness bouy straps for attaching them to the boat. If we get a bite & the critter wants to come in at the same area that the sock is following, they are easy to unhook from the boat, land the fish, & go retrieve the sock when ready.

I wouldn't be without my socks!

My .02... (my rig is a Tracker Targa 17 deep V with a 115 Opti)

Maj

Back