Digital help,,,,,,,,,,long

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Moore

Reaction score
Christmas, I received a digital camera as a gift. I've used them before, so I'm familiar with the operation. The problem I'm having is with the software. The camera is an Olympus, which came with Olympus' Camedia software. This is the most irritating software to use I have ever seen. Navigating and saving and moving files is such a pain, it's taking the enjoyment out of the camera. The editing functions are fine, just a pain in the arse to create albums and folders. I have used ACD SEE for HP and like it. What do you guys use and will any of the software programs download files from various camera brands to the PC via USB?

Also, I know a while back there was a discusion about JPEG pixel size for posting to a web site and for e-mailing, your preferences?

Thanks for the help.

BTW Mac, Rob, etc., 70 degrees for four days here in Lower Alabama (LA)LOL

Bruce

Bruce,

I have an Olympus camera and Camedia software....

Call me if you want, I'll be up for awhile....802-893-1601

I'll be home all day tomorrow.

Bob G.

Gotta pay attn to that little button. LOL Thanks Bob, May give you a call from the office tomorrow. I'm sure it's just me not wanting to get used to another format, but it's really drivin' me nuts.

BM

If you call me from home, I can probably walk you through any issues you are having. I put my pics into the Camedia program and then use Photoshop and HP software to do "constrained aspect ratio" cropping and album stuff. Can call tonight or tomorrow (day or night). I should be home chillin'!!

Bob G.

One of the problems is, my computer doesn't really like the Camedia program. And I haven't used it enough to feel comfortable with how it is storing files within itself.

Bruce,

Sorry, no help on the camera, however...

You said "LA" and I live in LA also...Enterprise. I like Point A a little better than Gantt, but have no luck on either one...any pointers or tips?

It's hard to get out there regularly, and I usually go to Juniper in FL or Eufaula. I'll also be going down to the Stick Marsh (near big O) in April.

Anyway, good to know someone else from UCLA is on the board. Thanks for any info.

Thad

I avoid the use of the "supplied" software... I have both an Olympus and a Canon..

What I have found the easiest way to deal with them is this:

Get a USB drive that will read the various types of memory cards/sticks... Like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008JLQH/qid=1078462161/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/103-1175756-5425446

Nice thing is this reader will work with multiple formats of the disks, so you can work with MMC cards for the Lowrance GPS units as well, etc...

After that, simply insert the disk into that little drive and treat it like any other file system access...

If your using Window's XP, you can even view the files in a filmstrip mode (just be careful of your selections, as they can modify the files really quickly) and then I use Photoshop or any other Graphics editing program that you are familiar with to do editing, cropping or printing...

Thad, we live right on Gantt and I still don't feel good about fishing it. What I have found out is,,,if the dock has a light on it that stays on 24 hours it's got fish, my side of the lake sucks. The old river channel is the better spot. It's across the lake on the east side. 'Bout all I really know.

BM

Hey Mac, is that inside? LOL supposed to be wet here today and tomorrow morning.

Bruce, I agree with others that have indicated a USB card reader would greatly reduce your frustration levels, go with a multi function reader, the 7 & 1 will work for all of the cards on the market today. So if you upgrade your camera or PC and want to put your pics on something other then your HD or a CD you can still use the reader.

I use Adobe Photoshop to edit pics, but you don't need to spend $500 to edit a pic. There are a few very good programs for under $90 that work well and are user friendly. Microsoft Picture It Digital Image Pro is the easiest to use, Paint Shop Pro and ACD Photo Master Suite are good programs and also easy to use. All under $90.

As for web site posting, without watermarking I like to keep pics to 400X300, this allows people to see the pic but it's too small to steal and use. If you don't care about that then go up to 600X400 and for email I get them down to 50kb or less for the same reason and so that people that are on dial up can easily download the image.

Also, your PC memory and mhz can have a major effect on how any imaging software performs which can cause much frustration. If your PC is bogging down when you work on pics, I would suggest considering adding more memory to the PC.

Cass :)

Bruce, what operating system do you run?

i have a canon a70 powershot and i use windows xp on my system that its attached to. With xp if you open your my documents there is a folder called my pictures. What i do is i connect my camera, open that folder and an option comes up that says download pictures from your camers. I just follow the wizzard and inthey come. i didnt load any software at all from canon, i didnt have to. For edits i ise paintshop pro.

Back