different motors on Tracker products

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just saw a 2003 Nitro with an evinrude 150 on the back. I asked the guy how in the heck he was able to do that????? He said he took it to a non tracker dealer that sold Evinrude and swapped it with his Merc??????? Now how is that possible? He said he has title in hand, so its his boat, but he also stated no Tracker dealer would do this, so he took it to a Triton dealer that sold Merc and rudes and hooked it up. How can this be? wouldn't that be a waste of cash?

Mike the swap itself totally feesable form a technical standpoint. The motor will bolt right up because they all use a a standard bolt pattern and the steering is basically the same. Where you get into the problem is the controls and wireing harness. The shifter, wireing, Key switch and some of the guages all need to be replaced to ones with will work with the Rude. Thats where it can get costly.

The only question is the why. Much like trucks( ford vs chevy etc) people sometimes have a brand preference. Spending all the money to swap it out might be worth it to some people if they feel strongly enough about a brand. For me personally i have owned both Evinride and Merc and i would own either one again but my preference is a Merc( i really like the way my Merc runs). But if i bought a boat and it happened to come with a Rude i dont think i would swap it out, i dont think it would be worth it.

Yeah me too, I have a rude now and love it, this will be my first Merc and I'm not excited about it, yet............ but willing to give it ashot

I have a 2000 225 opti starts first time every time

JD

Ahh Pat, now you go and tell me "I've had one, never would want another. " and here I just got my 99 115 on the Nitro!!! LOL

So, any tips on that motor?

Just because they are "quirkey" doesn't mean they are bad. Each one has it's own pattern to start from what I've seen. Bill has a 200 on his boat, Scott Favors has a 150 on his and each starts differently. Gotta luv them EFI's :wub::lol: Have it verticle, know how much to choke it and run additive in your fuel are some of the things I've heard.

TOXIC

Back