Dear Nitro

• Thread starter Michael Snow [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
Okay, you wanna see me mad? Here ya go...

If you only knew how my hands look after taking the blamed seat off the boat. Then if you only knew how hard it was to get the seat cover back on.... oh, and this is after ordering the seat covers some 6 weeks ago. ONE came in, but the other was forgotten about.

I got one installed.... Now, look at the seat on the left (the old one that needs replacing) and the seat on the right (the one I just replaced the seat cover on)... look closely...
101_0533.JPG

Yep, that's right... the new one has stitching where the other one doesn't.

Ah... but look at this one.. this is the OTHER new one that hasn't been applied (thank GOD!)
101_0534.JPG

So, there you have it, what do I do? Yes, the gun to the head has been considered, but then the boat would just have blood stains on it.

Staci, here's your chance... what should Tracker do? I think they should send me a new freaking boat! :)

Possible responses from Tracker Marine Customer Service:

The original must have been defective.

They're supposed to look like the new one.

They're made of heat-shrinkable vinal.

Wait until it's been in the sun for a few years.

Must be an installer problem.....

You shoulda let your wife do it.....

She's got all the talent.

You're supposed to shrink it to 500 pixels BEFORE you install it.

You should have paid full shipping charges.....

Then they both would have arrived together.....

And they would have at least matched.

We use an outside vendor for that part.

File your complaint with them.

Write Staci.

She's the only one who cares.

Problem being, of the two, one has the stitches in the back, one doesn't. Oh well... If they'll get me another one WITH the stitches (which isn't how the original one was), I'll be okay. Otherwise, they can send me a NEW back for the passenger seat (no, not a SKIN, but the whole thing).. those things are a bee-otch to install. That's like trying to get my fat butt onto an airliner's toilet. :)

Mike, sorry to laugh at your miss fortune but Staci that was too funny. I think you could be a columnist, look out Dear Abby & Ann Landers, Staci is here to save the day, she has all of the answers!

Cass

Thanks for the laugh before I retired to read my trashy novel. You were both quite amusing.

You two had me in stitches!!!! LOL!! But then again, I guess I shouldn't have been in stitches, right? I hate working nights!!

Barb

Ron, you have a point... except that buying the skins is about $200 to repair all four seats, and having a shop do it is about $1000.

For those who are going to read this (I asked Tracker Parts from BPS to look at the pics here to get an idea of what I'm complaining about), this is all good-hearted fun -- except for the demands for a new boat because of this.

Craig or Sandy, if you have any ideas of what went wrong (which part the right seat (in the pic) is, that'd be helpful. I'm guessing we got year templates mixed up, so if all things are equal in sizing, I'll take another of the wrong year -- just so they match. Honestly, you have NO idea how much of a pain these things are to put on.

Here are a few comments on putting seat covers on. My first job after college was as a supervisor at a Chrysler plant. One area I was in was the seat build area. Some tricks we used to get covers on were to put them in a hot steam sauna type box so they were nice soft and pliable. We would pull them out just seconds before trying to install. Another hint is make sure it is at least partially turned inside out before you start. This makes it easier to get it on the top of the seat back. Then you work the sides down and over as you turn it right side out. You might also help by putting a slick thin material around the edges of the foam on the seat back to help it slide better. We also had a steam wand that we could work up into the cover to re-soften it as needed. Just some thoughts that might help.

Maybe the makings of a lotion commercial

What were you doing to that leather mikesnow? Shame on you...hehe

Mike,

I feel your pain. My seats ripped few months after i had my boat and now TM does not want to fix them. They said they would send me skins and i could replace them but with only one hand that is hard to do.I could pay someone one else but why? I would have thought they would have replaced the the seats themselves since it was turned in while in warranty. But if you have had to talk to Customer Service for TM then HAHAHAH. It is really not customer service it is customer blow off. Sorry for you troubles let me know how it goes.

Chris

Chris -

Get the skins.....

Bring them to the rally.....

We'll put them on for you!

me!

I was real surprised when they fixed my center seat (admittedly warped from stepping in it) and it was a really good job (thanks to an outside vender). I would guess that they fixed it because of all the other work that had been done was all shoddy work and they thought they would throw me a bone and then tell me sorry Charlie you have to keep your lemon but we will keep fixing it (with poor workmanship) until the warranty runs out.

Then we will be done with you and on to the next unhappy customer.... WE ARE VERY BUSY here at Tracker customer (try to get satisfied) service..... oh hell here we go again....

Well, I've turned 180 degrees. I got bored, or whatever and put the GOOD seat skin on the other side. I need the CORRECT seat skin ordered. Turns out the difference is that someone just kept going with the sewing machine, sewing a "stitch" into non-joining fabric.

Chris, here's the magic secret to putting the skins on...

First, get the seat out. When you're taking the old skin off, notice which parts of foam are stapled to the board. This tells you that the foam was in place when the internal anchor pieces were stapled down. On my backs, there's a small square section in the bottom middle, an upside-down U that goes over and around it, and a top "mostly" long rectangular shaped piece. The two lower pieces were stapled to the surrounding piece of fabric.

Use your old staple holes as a good reference point. Place the bottom square piece where it goes (lined up with the bottom). I actually left the piece out, and stapled as close to the edge of the fabric as I could and followed the original staple line (removed all staples of course). I then squeezed the foam into place. Next, I put the upside-down U into place, and did the same thing (it needs to be in place or else you'll never get it in afterwards). Then put the top piece in, smushed it as much as I could, worked the back over the back of the seat frame, and got the new fabric TIGHT as close as I could to the original staples (if you don't get it far enough down, you'll see the staples and board from the back deck). Then tacked in the sides and bottom and voila!

One thing, you'll find the foam wrapped (or partially wrapped in cellophane). I left that in place if it was in decent shape, but some had to be removed. Then cover it with Saran Wrap or other plastic wrap. DO NOT GO SPARINGLY on it. This is what keeps you from having mold/mildew in the foam from a good rain. Of course, the top part is the most important.

They get easier as you do more of them... I think the last one took maybe an hour.

Understand though that you're replacing with the same materials you originally had and the life expectancy should be similar. If I weren't this far into it, I'd have had a professional do it and use TOP GRADE stuff. However, my boat is 4 years old now and a lot of the problems are sun damage and stepping on the seats. DO NOT STEP ON THE SEATS!

To be most honest on this, if I had to do it again, I'd probably see about putting boat cover material as seat covers.. not sure if it's a good idea or a lousy one.

Mike -

I have this aged aunt who has some extra, clear vinal couch covers left over from the 50's..... I'm sure she would part with them - for a price! LOL!!

me!

Why are you replacing seat covers on a boat that is this new??

Slsail.. I'm glad you asked. . It's because Nitro has such poor quality... I'm kidding...

MY boat was a repo, sat outside for a good 6 months. I also didn't have a boat cover when I first got it and it went through a Dallas winter uncovered. So, I'd say it was left to the elements for a year uncovered. Oh, and people stepping on seats and such.

I've gotten the gelcoat oxidation pretty much taken care of. I'm replacing the seat covers. I've had to use Armor All to restore the dash and such.

If Nitro used heavier grade seat covers, it wouldn't have happened this fast. However, I have a friend with a 99 or 2000 901cdx and he just had his seats replaced too. From what I know of him, he faithfully covered his boat. Mine does stay faithfully covered now.

From the Associated Press.....

"The American Nauga Ranchers' Association has reported recently that hides have become somewhat less durable.

"It would seem that this is due to having imported breeding stock from Canada. In Canada, ranchers have smaller herds and treat their stock like family pets - sometimes, even allowing them to live in their homes. Being reared in this sort of atmosphere, the Canadian naugas don't develop the same thick skins of their American cousins.

"Now, with the cross-breeding of the two strains, we are experiencing a decline in the overall durability of naugahide."

Blame Canada!

Hey Snowman, I used to have an old 58 Ford Panel truck that the seats were all crapped out in. I got some real cool tiger fur seat covers that streched on and fit real good. I think I got them at Pep Boys for only $9.99 but that was a few years ago. They could be up to maybe ten bucks by now. Just a suggestion.

Harpo

From the Associated Press.....

"Relieable sources have given further information on the origin of the thin-skinned nauga crisis.

"Apparently, the Canadian naugas in question were developed by cross-breeding naugas with frogs found in the Bordeaux region of Europe. Frogs from this region are noted for their thin skins, slurred croaking, erratic hopping and are distinguishable by their yellow coloration."

Blame the Canadians and frogs.

Back