Considering A Tracker

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Moore

Reaction score
I am considering buying an 02 Tracker PT175 with the Revolution Hull and a 40 HP Mercury. The one thing holding me back is some negative comments I have read about Trackers on various message boards. I seem to read more complaints about Trackers than other boats. I have read about cracked welds and difficulty in getting repairs. Is this a situation where you are going to hear more complaints about Trackers because they are the #1 selling bass boat and since there are more of them out there you are going to hear more complaints? I have also heard that the way they stretch the aluminum or form the hull leaves weak or hot spots. Does anyone have any idea about the percentage of Trackers that have problems with the hull? How is the Revolution hull an upgrade over the older hull other than welding instead of rivets? I am a fair weather fisherman. If it is windy or stormy I stay home. I do not generally fish larger lakes with bigger waves... mainly calmer water. I do realize people are more likely to post complaints and problems than positive experiences. I'd like to hear from people who have had issues w/ Trackers and those who have had nothing but great experiences with their Trackers. Any feedback, opinions, advice, etc. would be much appreciated.

Just check it over well...those comments peratin mostly to the older riveted versions.

Alot of people don't undertstand that even though those are ALL welded...the gunwales are still riveted and a bead of silcone needs to go down both sides.

You'll also be amazed at the ride on the RH hull design. I also believe that if it is at all possible...max out HP on any rig.

Have to say after four years that my 02' 185/90 combo is as tough as they come in tin rigs period;)

BTW...LOVE your handle :lol:

We've owned our PT175 for a year now and have no complaints so far. Our first boat and still basically pleased with it. :)

Lots of questions and I have some answers...I had a 2000 Pro Crappie 175 with a 40 Merc and she ran great until I sold her a few months ago.

is the Revolution hull an upgrade over the older hull other than welding instead of rivets? The Revolution hull has nothing to do with welding vs. rivets. Tracker came out with the Revolution Hull in 1988 (I think) and until 2002 they were rivited hulls. The major differences between the older hulls and the Revolution hull is the V in the front that cuts the water and provides the smooth ride, as well as the running strakes and offset transom. IT is one of the smoothest dryest alumiumun boat rides i've been in.

I fished calm rivers/lakes and Big Sid Lanier up here in North GA with no issues. My 2000 rivited hull didn't leak a drop, and I know the guy who bought it has had no problems with the hull. Have had nothing but stellar service from Atlanta Tracker and the boat caught about every species of fish we have down here including trolling 2 umbrella rigs for stripers!

I can't speak to problems getting stuff fixed, 'cause I never in 5.5 years had a problem. You can search this board and you will find maybe a 1-2% of members who have had a major problem. Given Tracker's size and volume that doesn't seem high to me.

In fact one of the main reason's I sold my Tracker is the moderator of this board offered to sell me his Nitro, and I realy wanted to stay in the Tracker Marine family! And No, i'm not a pro or sponsored by anyone, though I DID win the 2004 Nitro Tracker Owners Website Rally our of my Tracker!!!

Welcome to the site and whether you buy the Tracker or not, stay around. Oh, and you GOTTA tell us about that handle dude!!

If anyone would have hull trouble it would be me. I fish my 01 PT-185 up in the tree stumps and timber alot. I've had it high-centered on stumps and I bump stumps all the time and I've run it wide open in some pretty rough water. Other than the decals on the side being scratched up pretty bad, the hull is none the worse for wear. It rides real well in heavy chop and keeps me mostly dry. I sometimes wish for more than the 50 horsepower that I have, but not often.

My only problem came from some bad gas getting into the carbs. I installed a water seperator fuel filter and that fixed that. I feel like the carpet is a little on the cheap side and will need to be replaced soon. My only complaint on how the boat fishes is how susceptable it is to being blown about by the wind. If you live in a windy area plan on upgrading the trolling motor. I moved up to a 55 lb Minn Kota and sometimes that's not enough.

Todd, my salesman told me to always remove my fishfinder as well as lower and strap down my seat when I trailer. Also the issue with fishfinder not being able to track the bottom went away when I switched out the Hummingbird for an Eagle.

Harpo

I do agree about the carpet...mine after 4 years will need to be replaced within the next year or so:(

Todd - mmmmmmm..... I've never heard of "can't trailer boat with factory fish finder mounted or it breaks off from vibration(found out hard way)," I've trailered my Tracker at 65-70 mph (posted speed limits) with my factory installed Humminbird with never an issue of it comming loose/vibrating let alone breaking off!! MAN thats the first i've ever heard of that!

In looking over some of your minor issues I think I see issues with the OEM vendors not Tracker???

Humminbird when trailering, Humminbird keeping bottom - Sounds like a bad mount for the Humminbird, and the older humminbirds are known for having problems holding bottom on higher speeds.

Gas gauge didn't work from day 1 - That could be a Teleflex gauge problem? or it could be an installation problem.

engine cuts out when at an idle or barely in gear - Merc issue.

Just my thoughts. Not picking but unlike buying a car where for the most part the major components (like the motor, frame, doors...) are built by the manufacture, on boats the Hull/decking and in trackers case the Trailer are made by them, but the Motor (Trolling and OB), Electronics and other stuff are parts added by the manufacturer.

Trep

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes. I have a '90 ProV w/ 40hp. Riveted of course. I run the bilge pump after running for awhile and some water does extract. Also, when I pull the boat plug after pulling the boat out of the water, approx 2 to 3 gallons of water extracts also Isn't this normal, or should it be dry? Doesn't all boats take on water?

Nudepygmy, the only complaint I have about the boat mirrors Harpo's in that I often wish for more hp, and I need to upgrade the trolling motor( 36 lb mg ). I find it tough to stay on certain fishing spots with the wind having its way with the boat.

I would 2-3 gallons should not be normal. Now there are a lot of possibilities i've learned from this site over the years. It could be 1 or more rivits leaking. It could a rear fitting (livewell pump, drain, drain plug) is not sealed. It could be a loose/torn hose at the bottom of the livewell fill/drain. The key is to locate the area of problem and then you can focus on how to fix it. The easiest way to start is on the trailer, put in the drain plug and fill the boat up with water (hose into the bottom of the bildge), and see where water comes in. Best to do after the boat has been dry for a few days, so then when you see water leaking out you know where to start.

Trep

Thanks Trep, I will run the leaking test. So, there shouldn't be any water coming out the drain at all? Why the bilge pump?:unsure:

Aaron - The bildge is there normaly for emergencies like - you try passing a barge and don't realize it is pushing a HUGE wake up front and you get swamped (i'[m not admiting anything), the winds are real strong and to cross your lake you have to go sideways into the waves and take on water (nope not me), you are anchored and a number of large cruisers run by causing LARGE wakes over the transom (never happened), you get caught in a HUGE downpour and are not bright enough to go to the ramp (uhhh...)and so on!!! LOL And of course if you ever DO get a leak from a rivit, a crack, or a pipe/seal!!

Trep

Nude - let me throw in my two bits. I have the exact rig you're looking at - 2002 PT 175 with 40HP. I'm going on three years plus and I LOVE the rig. It was the right first "real" boat for me after running just small jons. I run mine on the lower Potomac, Lake Anna and even some of the electric only reservoirs with the motor fully trimmed up and an extra trolling motor on the back. The boat has not let in a drop of water (except what splashes up when I run in reverse too fast or splash into a wave!). The only thing I would have changed would have been to get a larger motor (probably the max 75). But if that's the only choice in motor you have, don't worry - mine runs a good 26mph with a full tank, my gear and me.

If I had to do it again, I definitely would.

Good luck - JC

ps: Not noticed a problem fitting in a 7 foot rod in the rod locker.

For my 1991 Pro-17,, 2-3 gallons of water is NOT normal....................it's more like 20 at the end of the day :D:D:D

I will say that it is a tank though. 14 yrs old as still runs like a top (knock on wood).

She has been beached, banged, launched in the air, ran on Erie in 5 1/2 footers, darn near sunk once, and ran over too many floating logs to even count.

A few (ok, lots) battle scars on the sides and bottom.

One cracked weld ($20 fix), one power trim motor rebuild ($50), Two new motor mounts ($35), new floors and carpet, one bilge pump and one livewell pump is about all that I have had to do to it.

I'll be sad to see the old girl go one of these days.:( but I have my eyes on the Crestliner Fishhawks.:wub:

Steve

I had a PT 175 and later a PT 185. I liked the 185 more-bigger and with the 90Merc it scooted around pretty darn good. Lots of rod, gear and other junk storage. Biggest drawback was lack of room for partner. That was one of the reasons I sold it and got an Avalanche. The Avalanche actually lacks room on the front deck. You cant lay a rod down without the tip laying down on one of the consoles. It has tons of room in the back and has a 96" beam on it, wide enough to land a helicopter back there !!!

In a lot of ways I wish I still had the 185. Better fuel milage, lighter to tow, easier to launch/recover...At the end of the day there was virtually no water in the bilge. That goes for all 3 too by the way.

Go big...get the 185/90 combo and it will be a long while if not ever (like me) that you'll ever go back to glass....especially with gas. I spent three days at Dale Hollow and only burned one tank of gas. Of course I was not running @ WOT most of the time...probably 4 grand max...

Back