Computer help needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
My puter is running slow. I Do not know much about them. I believe it has some type of virus. Any help appreciated.

Bubby

While on the internet or while running software or something not on the internet?

Teri, while I am on the internet. It is hard to even get my mouse to move the pointer. Takes maybe 1 minute to move it an inch or so.

Bubby

Do you have virus detection software installed?

I can also be your connection to the internet. Are you Dial-up, Cable or DSL? Also it you are running a good Virus Procetion program taht will slow you down as well.

Puter new or old. How much RAM.

Virus protection is the obvious need if you don't have one.

First thing I would try is deleting all the temp files that get stored. Find your Tools Menu (usually at the top), from Tools goto Internet Options, within Internet Options find Browsing History, there should be a delete option, click on the button and it will open up all your delete options. I would definitely get rid of all temporary file and cookies. Personally, I just use Delete All once in awhile but keep in mind this will delete all saved passwords on any web site you go to. This may differ just a bit depending on what version of Windows you are on. What I described above is for XP.

Try this first. It may clean up alot of junk that gets added to your computer while browsing. If it's a true virus, this probably won't help much.

There could be a million things going on but this is the easiest to try.

go to www.trendmicro.com and use the free scan of housecall Good Start.

Teri's suggestion is also a good idea, and shoulkd be done before you run housecall.

You can eventually do a google search and download and run malwarebytes an excellent malware tool.

Post here if you don't have some progress and I'll do what I can to help you.

Teri, thanks a ton!! I am back up and running. Greg, I will do what you posted tommorrow. Thanks to all replies.

Bubby:)

Also remember spyware get a spyware checker (http://www.snapfiles.com/features/ed_spyware-protection.html) I use spybot it is free. Remember to keep your Antivirus up to date. Many times after the virus has done it's damage, it is to late, as adding AV only removes the virus not the damage it has done. Also may want to run disk defrag under Sytem Tools.

You can find links to free AVirus, Firewall, and Spyware programs at the following site, plus other good info.

http://www.komando.com/

Latest posts

Back