Clean carpet!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

Tried to find the old thread on this, but with no luck. Just wanted to say THANKS to whomever provided the tip about using a power washer on boat carpet. It worked GREAT!

I've only spot cleaned my PT175 tan carpet now and then and vacuumed it several times during each season. Despite this, the carpet started looking gungy and matted after nearly three years of regular use. After reading from someone on this board about using just a power washer and no soap, I figured what the hey. So on Sunday afternoon after fishing Mattawoman in the morning, I took the portable powerwasher to the carpet. I then used a shop vacuum to suck up the excess water. After about 36 hours of dry time in the garage, the carpet is nearly bone dry (just slightly damp in a couple spots) and its clean clean clean!! No spots anywhere and the nap looks refreshed.

So given this experience, I will probably repeat this once a season. Thanks again for the great tip!!

JC

My neighbor takes the old hoze and spray nozzle to his a few times a year. I can't imagine deliberately putting that much water into the boat--LOL. Remember to check the bilge to clean away any stuff the excess water may have flushed down. It could clog pumps.

Well, I will admit that the pressure washer I use is a lower powered one. Its run by household current versus an independent gas motor (Home Depot special). Its still much more than a standard hose and nozzle and I was also concerned about that much water, but the shop vac pulled up a huge amount of the excess and a bunch dripped through the drains in the bilge (plug out!). To dry it, I left all the lids open - oh, and I removed all the contents of the boxes first!! As for the glue, doesn't seem to have adversely affected the hold, but then there are also screws holding the carpet down as well.

I agree with Mike, Jim.. A pressure washer WILL loosen the glue so be careful with how strong the pressure is that you use.

Uncle Billy

Back