Change oil or not - 25 hours on motor last year

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a PT-175 with a Merc 25 HP 4 stroke. I use the trolling motor 90% of the time. I probably put 25 hours on the Merc last year and was getting ready to change oil, checked the dip stick and the oil looked light in color just like new. So with only 25 hours on the motor from last year should I change the oil or wait until fall?

FYI the book states 100 hours or one year whichever comes first. How about lower gearcase I had that changed last year also. Thanks for the help. Paul

If it were mine... I'd change it. Cheap insurance.

I change plugs twice a year on my 2Stroke. I change out the lower unit oil in the Spring and then again just before real cold weather. I also change the impeller every year in the Spring. But, then I am anal about boat maintenance.

I agree with Greg, Why not ? Especially if its the original oil.

Absolutely the lower unit lube. I Change mine early every spring and about the 4th of July, just to be sure.

In addition to the lower unit, I just did a new impeller, thermostats, plugs, fuel filter and flushed the gas tank. Whew, I'm exhausted already, lets fish !

Thanks, not the original oil I have changed it every year since new in 2005. I was just wandering if I was being paranoid changing the oil every 25-30 hours when the book says 100 hours or 1 year. Like stated, cheap insurance. I just went out and got my oil, filter, lower unit lube, spark plugs and I have an impeller on order. Thanks for all of the help!

You treat "them" right and they will treat you right... Every Spring is be nice to my outboard time!

I literally just finished my spring maintenance. Sat here to relax and read some posts minutes afterward.

Here's my list:

1. Changed out lower gear oil

2. Replaced the fuel filter (under cowling)

3. Checked battery levels (onboard 2 bank charger)

4. Pulled spark plugs and cleaned / checked

5. Greased wheel bearings and steering cable

6. Inflated tires to proper level (including spare)

7. Topped off (stabilized) fuel

8. Checked all gauges and lights for function

I'll change the impeller later this week as I have to pick it up next time at work (BPS).

I am however, going out on the water tomorrow for some fishing first.

Latest posts

Back