Champlain and 'Clair what ?!?!?!?!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre Voisine

Reaction score
Check out some real weights here north of the border...Where the real smallies live.

Pierre

http://www.basscanada.com/news_03_crackle_cup.html

I heard about this...awesome weight. I HAVE to get to Simcoe soon...

Still know a guy that won a Tuesday night deal (4 hours) with 28+ pounds on FOUR, yes FOUR fish....this was in Northern Lake Michigan. He was fishing a tournament out of Lake Charlevoix.

No doubt Canada has some awesome smallmouth fishing as does Champlain. But for shear amount of untapped water.....you cannot beat the Great Lakes (Canadian, OH, PA, NY, WI, IL waters included), almost any lake in Ontario/Upstae New York will be similar. There are hundreds of thousands of smallmouth that have never even seen a bait. And I wish it was my job to just go find em...:)

Mini

Man, that is some stringer of fish - regardless LM or SM.

After catching that group of fish, I'm surprised that one of them doesn't have a sling on. I bet those toads really loaded up their rods.

Nice article.

Tex

WOW!! That is one impressive weight.

I agree with you Mini, 1000 islands has seen some big weights as ST-Clair and Erie. I'm throuwing another water in the 'Clair vs Champlain squabble on this board. Big water= big fish... We may not have the 20lbs largies here but our smallmouth waters are the best (northern states and Cananda. We've got the numbers in largemouth though.

Pierre

Sounds like Mini and I need to make a road trip to Pierre Country!!! Only way to settle this bet is to experience it!! LOL....We'll have to meet at Simcoe and arrange an international toad-fest!!! BIG bass,..Bradors,..J&C's,...and BassBoats,..how can one possibly lose???? Now THAT's foreign relations!! LOL

28 lbs and only 4 fish mini? That's a 7 lb average! That HAS to be a record. Man, I'm doing something wrong. Pierre is right, big water = big fish and lots of them. I've had this discussion with dozens of people. No we will never get a 18+ lber up here, don't have the growing season, but you will catch twice the number of bass up north and the average weight is 1 lb heavier per fish. And I won't even go into the which water is tougher to run. There ain't NUTHIN down south that compares to Erie, Champlain, Ontario, etc with a strong wind.

Mini have to stand you correct on that tournament, if it is the one Im thinking of it was 3 hrs not 4 if it would have been 4hrs the 5th fish would have been there, and it would be in the 30lbs...........

Bob

No cage, just a rock pile in the middle of a hundred feet of water that came up to 35 feet.....crawling with HUGE toads. He still hasnt gotten fish that size there since.

Mini

That has to be some kind of tourney record. Man, I've been aching for just ONE smallie over 7 lbs. A stringer full???? Man, I gotta build me a rock pile in deep water.

We had a tournament here on a small lake where the winner came in with a little over 28 lbs five fish all largemouth off of a group of three stumps.....it all happened in the span of 8 minutes....at 7:50 a.m. the tournament was over.

Pierre

How do you not question that? 8 minutes and that kind of weight. Yeah, the CAGE was tied to the stumps! LOL I have gotten on hordes of big fish before and it's true, it is just unreal. Toad after toad....cast after cast, but they were 3 1/2-5 lbers...NOT 7's!

No I was there in the same bay and watched the show. It was just one of those days for this guy....he came into the bay and started flipping early on his way to his favorite spot using the trolling motor. On the way he "stumbled" on these stumps and proceeded to bring 5 consecutive fish...unreal. Then he called me over but there was nothing there...I could not beleive my eyes. These guys fun fished the rest of the day and took turns taking naps in the afternoon until weighin. The biggest part was worring about the fish dying.

Pierre

Man, I need 4 days like that, preferably during next year's FLW! LOL Heck, I'd take just the first day like that.

That's IF I make it to the last day! A stringer like that would guarantee me getting to the semi's. I'd take it from there. Hey, even the top 20 would make me happy. I'm shooting for top 10. If I get in the top 10, I will consider the tourney a success.

Rob,..NOTHING'S gauranteed in tournament fishing except out of pocket expenses!!!

Back