Carpet Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Bell2

Reaction score
Just got my new NX750 and want to protect the carpet from staining. What do you guys recomend.

Do you recomend spraying down the deck with Scotch Guard type product? We catch allot of reds and trout here in the St. Johns river, pretty slimy fish...

You can treat it with a Scotchguard type treatment it you want but it really isn't necessary. Boat carpet is made from a solution dyed polypropylene which means that it's very hard to stain and very easy to remove stains that do occur. Solution dyed means that the color goes all the way through the fiber like a carrot instead of yarn dyed where the color is only on the outside like an apple. That way you can clean it fairly aggressevly without fear of fading. The most important precaution I would reccomend is to keep it covered and out of the sunlight (when you're not using it of course), which will eventually fade and destroy anything. I use regular automotive foam carpet cleaner to take off coffee and mud stains without a problem.

Harpo

If it isn't the UV protected kind of carpet (most are nowdays) get the spray that helps protect it from the sun, it usually has a stain resistant chemical in it already. I get mine from a car detailing place. Like what was said its hard set a stain into most boat carpet, just make sure you spit you backy juice over the side

fatrap

alot of people just leave it in the garage covered up, but if you plan on useing it go with the scotchguard.

I agree with Harpo. I wash with soap, and vacuum to take care of mine. Seems to work ok and have not used scotchguard on it.

So, soap, rinse and vacuum work for me. When I am really feeling froggy I get a hand scrub brush and soap it up real good and use the brush to help the carpet stand back up from matting.

Carlos

I have always used a product sold at Walmart called "Spot Shot". I've never found a stain that it would not remove.

I scotchguard my crapet every spring with the green "outdoor" scotchguard. It works great. I have spilled alot of coffee on my boat, it will just sit on top of the carpet and you can soak it up with a rag. Cleans up like it was never there, no need to go back over it with soap or spot remover. The one downside to the scotchguard, is that it makes your carpet veeery slippery, not to walk on, but for items you leave laying around. Gotta make sure to secure things down when you open up the motor, especially the trolling motor pedal.

Steve, go sparingly with the Spot Shot. It has a solvent in it that will disolve the latex binder that holds the carpet together. It's best used on a rag and then go after the stain.

Harpo

Back