Can't decide on a prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lively

Reaction score
Guys (and ladies), my first time on the board. I just bought a new 901 CDX with a 200EFI (last week). I have had 3 Nitro's in the past a '93 TF19?, a '96 896, and a '98 896, loved all of them. My new 901 came with a 23 Tempest plus, but every thing I read, and see mention a 24-25 pitch prop. I have ran my boat twice with nothing in it but my self (245lbs hey! but I'm tall) and about 20 gallons of gas and I am turning 6000 rpm's. I talked to my dealer and he said they have a 25 Tempest plus I can trade for. I would like to be around the recommended 5600 - 5800 rpm's. I need some help in my decision. My dealer is about 200 miles away, and I don't won't to drive that far if I don't have to. What will the "23" do with a full load (3/4 tank of gas, tackle, and 2 people), and what about the "25"? Also got a question on my jack plate setting. I have a 10" slide master, where does it need to be? Right now the slide is 1" above the "level/even" setting. Oh yea, great board. Ps......from "TEXAS"

Sounds like a question Mac should answer, since that's pretty near the same rig he's runnin'. I can tell you Tracker specs show the 23 pitch Tempest. I think Mac's running a 24 pitch Trophy +.

Perhaps you may want to keep your prop as a Spare. Sounds like it will work for heavier loads or if you do some Skiing. The bigger prop will probably increase top speed but may not have quite the holeshot especially with weight aboard.

I have ran the 25 tempest, and the 24 tempest on my 901, I am running a 200OPTI, the only problem with the bigger prop, is hole shot when you fill them big ol livewells full of water and of course some big old bass. If I was you I would consider trying the 24 Tempest, is has been doing a good all around job for me.

Got the 25" and it worked great. Turns about 5700 rpm's at WOT with me and a full tank and live wells. Runs about 74 or so on speedo. My first 901 and I think I am going to like it. Kenny

Hi Kenny,...Mac here,...you'll love the 901,...mine runs and rides great!! I have the 200 Opti, also and I run a 24P Trophy 4 blade because of the load i carry and the rough water i fish....I want a quick hole shot and i need to feather my throttle all the time, because of the waves i encounter. I have a 25 Tempest as a spare, but I prefer the 4 blade over the 3 for the reasons i stated above. I'll give up a 1-3mph loss in top end for the benefit i gain by having the 4th blade in rough water and with a full load. The 3 Blade 25 will give you a better top end speed and the hole shots are really close,...but it's harder to stay on top and run rough water with a 3 blade than it is with a 4 blade, but some guys/gals will disagree with that...they run 3 blades all the time, but based on my experience with great lakes fishing,...i just prefer a 4 blade. My Trophy will push my 901 with 2guys and a full load at 69-71MPH (GPS)....the speedo is buried at 75, but speedo's are usually off by 5mph atleast!! So let your water and driving style dictate your best prop,...you won't be dissapointed with a 4 blade,..but if you want that extra top end,..go with a 25p 3 blade. If i had flat water to run in most of the time....i'd do the same thing,...but i'm dealing with 3-5ft waves a LOT and the bite and lift of a 4 blade really shines in those conditions. Good luck with your boat and glad to have you on the board!! There's a GREAT buncha folks here and a wealth of knowledge and experience...pop in daily!! BTW,..Vote for Ken and Mac,...we're better than crack!!! LOL

Seeya BigDog!!

Mac

The new EFI and Opi-Max engines have computers on them that records engine data. If you let your engine sing like Bob said and it blows up, when Mercury down loads your computer and sees it was above redline they could void your warranty. It's your choice....

Sorry for the mix up Bob. It sounded like you were telling him to run his engine at 6000rpm. I agree it sound be proped to run at the top of the rpm band (5000-5800).

Latest posts

Back