Can you add a drain hole to a boat?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
The old man has a 12' rowboat from his father. Good little boat, but there is no drain plug. Is it possible to drill a hole in the transom and add a plug? Would there be more to it than that?

Rich D

I'd use one of the plastic threaded male/female connectors, and plenty of silicone.

Disclaimer: It is suggested when trying to install a drain hole, that it be done on dry land and not on the water.

Go to the hardware store and buy a 3/8" wooden dowel. Take 38 caliber handgun. Shoot through transom. Rap chunk of 3/8 dowel with rag and pound into hole with hammer. WALa drain hole and plug. Just kidding

fatrap

Not sure, but I swear I saw Curly do it once in a 3 stooges short, seriously, I'm sure it must be possible somehow, but I have no knowledge on something like that... good luck with it! egMike

THey make an insert that you can add. It can be purchased at any old time hardware store. You drill the hole and put the insert with the gasket on the inside and just screw on the female nut until its tight.

Barry

LOL @ Toxic, Don't ask the guy in the picture of the Tin Boat sinking in the other post about how he added a drain hole!

look in the BPS catalog.There are plastic through hull fittings.They are in the livewell/bilge pump section.

Get one with a 3/4 inside diameter and a 3/4 drain plug to put in it.

Total cost about $5.00

Back