Can I use it in the bay?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF DARWAY

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 2001 Nitro 700 LX. AM I able to take this boat out in the bay. Will it handle it or is this boat made only to go in fresh water?

Can you?....Yes

Should you?....No

Would I?....No

You could if you flushed your motor well, but your trailer (if not galv) will suffer and there are a lot of things like trolling motor, wiring, carpet...etc....that will also suffer. I assume you mean close in, cause the bay can be a nasty place.

TOXIC

I would not dunk a painted trailer in salt water. It will start trailer rot that can't be cured.

I would not use it in the bay

I would not try in Walkers cay

Freshwater is where I would stay

Even if someone offered to pay

I think these words you should obey

Fresh, not salt, is the bassboat way

But if you should decide to say neigh

You may have troubles from that day

Words of wisdom from Dr. Suess. :lol:

I agree with Toxic. I wouldn't do it. I know those who have (I did in my very first boat). The nasty results may not be seen at first, but they tend to rear their ugly heads years down the line.

All the best,

Glenn

Yes it would have been in the protected bay along the shore lines. OH well I guess I better pass on the boat then since I do alot of saltwater bay fishing. Bummer it really is a nice looking boat.

2001 175 Sport..I use in the Intercoastal Waterway (Florida) alternate between fresh and salt water use. Galvanized trailer is almost a must.

I spray silicon protectant on everything under the motor cowling, and up under the console. Pressure washing is a ritual when I return home, and flushing the motor is a must.

Keep wax/polish on hill and fittings. Boat has held up well, just remember you are operating in the worst environment. Sometimes a good Redfish, Snook or Trout is worth the extra effort.

Other than that enjoy your fishing.

Latest posts

Back