BPS pricing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Meier

Reaction score
Be very careful what you purchase there. Much better deals are to be had on-line. As a Preferred member at BPS (just means they gave me a silver card for spending way to much $$$$$$ there) I have been shopping the stores since the 1st Springfield, MO store was the only one. And like most others, I also frequent Cabela

Thats why I always shop around for items that are considered "big ticket" -- which to me anymore is about 100 buck lol.

CHRIS CAS

In defense of Cabelas and BPS. Both the ones we have in my community are involved in teachng hunter educations and youth fishing classes. They bring in experts to talk to everyday "Joes" about a number of good things. They directly or indirectly support organizations such as pheasants forever by providing meeting rooms. I once seen a fishing associated take a Mother and her son around the fishing section and set them up with rod, reels and tackle and give detail instructions on how to use the tackle and were locally they might go for some sucess.

The savy shopper is going to find way better deals if you have the computer savy and the skills to search for said items.

If your fortunate to live close enough to one of the stores its great to go in and sit around with a cup of coffee and watch the aquariums, people and soak in the store while the wind howls and it's raining and very cold outside.

Who doesn't get a bit excited when walking in the front door? The company needs to make money to provide this.

So I say shop carefully if you find better deals online great, buy them, but don't begrudge these companies for making a few $$. I for one would be sad not to have these stores provided by Johnny Morris,Shields, Gander Mountain and the Cabelas company.

fatrap

I have also had issues with BPS pricing: item was listed in the CURRENT master catalog at a reasonable price and comparible to Cabelas and Overtons. Went to order on line, price was an amazing 45% higher!

No one is holding anything against BPS making a few bucks, but when you can have a small independant shop making a few bucks and still selling the item at 29% less that BPS, I got a problem with that. The name brand reels like Shimano and Diawa are also 20%+ over the deals on-line and the store brand reels are marginal at best.

BPS may have a few deals to be had but I haven't found any recently? I was also taken by the store apprearance and the ability to go in and they would have most of what you need, but not at the expense of a few hundred dollars.

Generally, I shop on-line with BPS and Cabela's and ALWAYS look at the Bargain Cave (Cabela's) and the Clearance Section at BPS. NEITHER have had anything decent that anyone would want nor are the "discounted" prices that good. It has really gone down the crapper in the last yesr. Fortunately I have enough stuff to last a few more YEARS so what I would buy would be a "want" and not a "need".

I don't mind a retailer making a decent profit margin but I don't want to be raped, either.

You are all correct. Shop around for the best deal. Don't forget to pit one against the other. They will price match in most cases. (except clearance items) If you see it in a current catalog and you are near a store, ask to speak to the Department Manager and get the price reduction. If they do not take Care of you, ask the speak with the General Manager. Nine times out of ten, this will be the end of it and they will take care of you. Unfortunately, that is the dark side of retail. Most customers will not make an issue of it and that's what they are banking on. As long as you don't make an #$# of yourself, they will normally take care of you.

You cannot compare buying on eBay to buying at a brick and mortar store no matter who it is. Besides what are you going to do if that Laser Finder or Midland Radio malfunctions in two weeks? Sure you can return it to the eBay seller.....but you could just walk back to Bass Pro and exchange it easier.

As always in consumer buying....buyer beware and homework pays for itself. Bass Pro Shops is a great place to shop, learn, view, listen and especially buy.

I'm down to once a year at BPS....their supersale and that's it!

Don't care for their tude...too big for their pants:lol:

Besides what are you going to do if that Laser Finder or Midland Radio malfunctions in two weeks? Sure you can return it to the eBay seller.....but you could just walk back to Bass Pro and exchange it easier.

John,

I would send it back to the MFG. same as what I would do if I got it from BPS?? Driving an hour each way to take it back is not worth the extra dollars to me if I can get the same results. I did this with a $1500.00 Lowrance unit and they had a new one on my porch with a call tag the day after my contact. As far as the brick and mortar comparison, the purchase of my crossbow and the rest of the spare strings/carbon arrows/broad heads/target/etc from the store in PA saved me over $263.00 vs BPS and $319.00 over Cabela's. If the small suppliers like the PA shop can make a profit off what I just paid for this stuff then it would appear the big guys are taking the exra profit & paying for waterfalls and fish tanks? :wacko:

That may be true. I have said this and will always say this (even as a Bass Pro Pro Staffer)....you have to support the Mom and Pop stores. I buy stuff from local tackle stores when I go to a new lake, or even the big pond in my backyard (St Clair).

But for each instance of saying you can get better pricing elsewhere, you can find even bigger deals on other items. I am still kicking myself for not buying the Humminbird Si unit I saw for $1300 at BPS. It was almost half price, probably never see that again!

I always buy bait from the locals. For some reason their live bait is better. Soda Pop and sandwichs too. Several of these stores I've been on first name basis for many years. My discount at Bass Pro does make the higher end rods and reels hard to resist. A good balance is in order. I just wanted to point out that The Big Retail guys really put back into our community. So you can condemm them for their profits but when you see hundreds of kids in the course of a year, sitting at the seminars just for them, it makes you happy.

fatrap

John,

That was a great price on that unit. Never saw that one. Where/when was that?

BPS std. price on the web is $2,799.99 add shipping and/or tax if you get it from a store and it closer to $2,940.00.

You get get a HUMMINBIRD 1197C SI COMBO SONAR/GPS FISHING UNIT *NIB* on Ebay buy it now for $1,999.00 + $20.00 shipping. That's a savings of $920.00. I couldn't choke that down no matter what. I see to many BPZ's (Bass Pro Zombies) filling the basket in the store without any regard to the fact they could have bought the same items somewhere else for much less.

***There is another one bidding at $1,700.00 too. :D

Spring 07. They had one at Springfield and three in Detroit.

The 1197 wasnt out yet. It was the 797 (smaller screen)

Latest posts

Back