Bow Light - Extended

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Heydt

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for an extended bow nav light? Since putting the MK Genesis up front, my standard 10" Perko b-a-r-e-l-y peeks over top. If the TM is deployed I'm ok, but when stowed it blocks the light. All the bow lights I can find seem to be the same 10 inch height. Need at least 14 inches. Otherwise, it looks as if I may be mounting some red and green running lights... Thanks!

Hey Terry!

How about an even swap, my MK power drive 55 for your Genesis? My nav. light clears. A big NOT I'll bet.

Seriously, I don't know how handy you are but I would take both ends loose, cut the wires, and find a four or five inch piece of conduit or PVC with the proper diamemter and attach it to the existing rod with either JB weld or suitable glue or pop rivets.

Splice in and insulate enough wire to reach the new length and put it all back together. Depending on your skills, it may not be as pretty but it will be functional. Besides it'll be dark anyway.

I assume from the lack of responses no one has a better idea or source.

Great idea, Richard!

But it might be easier to buy a bow light and cut a section out.....

me!

Or the transom light and cut it to the size you want. One end would already be wired to go. All you would have to do is mount the top green/red light. Did a lot of night fishing in WI and of course at 0 dark 30 I discover the bow light does not work. Tried everything, banged on it kicked it and even spit on the contacts...nothing. Decide

I don't need a greeting card from the WI Rangers so I creep back to the to the dock and as soon as I nudge it the dang light comes on....go figure.

TOXIC

Hadn't thought about a stern light. Could just cut one down to size and pop the red/green head on.

Stern lights are available (generally) in many lengths, from short to long. I carry a shorter one with me for occasions when fishing a night tourney with a partner.

Tex

Oops! Ment to say a "stern" light!

All this nautical verbage - bow/stern/port/starboard..... What's the matter with right and left? Front and rear? Anyone know why it all got started anyway? Must have had something to do with the British!

me!

Staci,

Yes you are right, the nautical terms we use mostly did come from the British. As I am in USMC, which is a part of the Naval service, we get lots of our verbage from the Navy. As to how it got started, I do not remember....

Some nautical verbage also comes from the Nordic languages.Took a Coast Guard Boaters Safety Course. They taught us all that good stuff.

Craig

But the real question, Craig.....

Now that you're out of the class.....

How much of it still makes sense to you?!!?

:^)

Latest posts

Back