Boating Safety Class

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Has anyone attended a "4-hour" boater safety class?

I'm signed up this coming saturday to attend one being offered by the local Sheriff's Department. The main reason I'm going is to take my 12-year old son. I forget the specific wording of the regulation, but for him to "solo" the mighty TV-18, he needs this class. Since he is the one that drives the boat up onto the trailer when we're done fishing, I want him to be "legal." This is also the class that the jet-ski $%#@!s have to take...

Was wondering if anyone had experience with how much of the class is devoted to jet skis versus REAL boats...

az

The Coast Guard one they have here is more focused on the rules of the road and general watercraft safety. Actual boat operation isn't a big focus.

fatrap

I got my certificate last year when I took the NH boater safety class online. I felt it was very good information to know. The class covers PWC and boating rules and regulations in great detail.

You might want to check the minimum age requirement in your state. In NH the minimum age is 16 to operate a watercraft over 25hp or ski craft capable of going over 20 mph. The only exception is he has to be accompanied by an individual 18 or older with a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate.

Cass

Andy- Hardly any of my Boaters Safty class was devoted to PWC's..that is why they drive like morons...

T.S.

The wife and I took the class -- good info--

In KS -- a 12 yr. old can not drive / operate a water craft untill they pass this class---------I would not let a 12yr.old take my boat out class or not.

HaleDamage

i took an online class that had a test and all at the end. if you make i think an 80 on the final test then you get a certificate. of course you have to pay up front, but i don't think it was but $20-25. called my insurance company and it was good enough for a 10% discount annually!

bryan

Go to BoatUS.com. They have a safety course for both watercraft and PWCs. It costs nothing and if you pass they provide you with a certificate that you can use with your insurance company. Saved me 20%.

It is a grear refresher course and I take it about twice a year. It is geared to your home state. Have a good test. It has excellent review material before taking the test.

I took the NH Boating Safety Course this January. I recall that someone else in the class had their child with them (14 years old) and they said that this kid was not old enough to take the test and receive the certification but they could take the course just not the test. Before you pay for your child, make sure you find out the age requirement.

Mad Kayaker

Back