Boat seat accident

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I just got back from South Dakota on my annual walleye trip. While out on Lake Oahe my brother and I had just pulled up on a point to fish the mudline. It was pretty rough and I Climbed into the front seat and started to use the trolling motor. As the boat rocked back I leaned back in my seat. I kept right on going back. The seat bracket bent backward and I fell back hitting my heat on the passenger console splitting it open and knocking me out temporarily. My brother grabbed my legs to keep me from rolling out of the boat. Talk about a headache. To top it off no walleyes only a 8 pound northern.

What had happened was years ago when Nitro rigged my boat, the person who screwed the pin bracket onto the bottom of the seat apparently didn't take the time to line up the screw holes so he/she could put all four machine screws. Only three screws were screwed in. The back two and the front one. The front one, through time, had worked loose leaving the back two in place. When I leaned back nothing held the front of the seat. The other seat was exactly the same way and all three screws were loose. As I use the Pole seat 99% I never checked the screws on the seats.

So people check your seats and make sure the bracket is secured to the bottom of the seat. And by the way. I didn't have on a lifejacket.

fatrap

Fatrap; I had this happen on a PT175 but all the screws were in the mounting bracket; the metal just broke off at the mount. Luckily I fell backward and landed in the area next to the console and didn't get hurt; just my pride. I could have fallen out of the boat if I wasn't leaning in the right directiion. I ordered a new mounting bracket from BPS and replaced the mount but it was scary. Sure hope you recover O.K Maybe hooking in to a good 7lber would help the healing process.

I had my screws come loose (LOL), i used either tub and tile calk.

Removed the screws and Just a touch will do You.

I've noticed my buttseat pole is starting to take a backward lean. I have no idea why???:unsure::rolleyes:

Harpo

Yeowzaza man!! Hope that you are healing ok!! Bummer time for the trip, that is for sure!!!

Just a scab now. I had double vision for a day or so a wopper headache. It's really hard to dent a German/Polish skull. Thanks for the good thoughts.

fatrap

Back