Boat problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrod Smith

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Nitro, i just bought and took out for first time yesterday. It started up fine, we ran around the lake. The boat is taking on water and i had my plug in very tight. My livewells filled to the top and i am not sure if they are leaking into the hull or not, but there was water coming out from the bottom of the switch board where all the switches are. the Bilge pump kept pumping water out like crazy and i dont know where else to check for a leak. any ideas? then once i returned to the dock, i shut off the motor to wait on my trailer to be backed into the water, and then i tried to start it and it wouldnt start. It made a sound like it was trying to turn over, but wouldnt fire. What could be the cause of this? Thanks

Older boat, I would look at the thru hull fittings for leaks. Fill the bigle area with water (a couple 10 gallons should do it) while on the trailer. Leave the plug in and look for leaks.

Leak under the dash (where the switches are)....water pressure gauge isnt working either is it? Thats probably where the leak is coming from.

The motor wont start? Did you check the kill switch?

Thanks for the help on this, thats a good idea to check for leaks. I will also check the pressure gauge, because it only shot out water when i was moving. thanks for your help.

I also went home at lunch and put muffs on the motor and i charged the battery the last 2 days, and the motor fired right up, so its starting. Is there a way to stop the livewells from filling up? or do i have to plug them up? i would like to use them once in a while but not every time.

If it only shoots water when your moving then check the line to the speed-o for cracks or connection. The livewells should only fill to equal level with lake water that the boat is displacing while in the water. You can plug them but I have no clue why they are filling up all the way.

I had a similiar problem with a previous boat and it was a crack in the live well pump. It would pump water into the live well but when I was through filling the live well it would fill the bottom of the boat. Just one more thing to check. Good luck.

Recently purchased a nitro 185 sf and took it out 2 times. First was pre purchase test . No water issues but when I went back out in December, drained the boat on trailer and good amount of water came out of the hull drain . Over win ter had these livewell in/out lines plugged. Not permanently but I do not do much tournament fishing. I will let yo now if this does the trick. Taking it out this weekend,

Back