Boat Insurance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Spradley

Reaction score
How many of you keep insurance on your boat after it is paid for? I know insurance is good to have for accidents on the water, but would your car insurance cover the boat if you were pulling the boat behind the car? Hopefully the other guy's insurance who hit you would cover it. Robert

I would. Being that your responsible for any damage your boats wake makes i would want the coverage. If someone decided your wake damaged their property i think i would rather have the insurance sompany deal with it. Plus should you ever hit something its nice to have them pick up the tab.

Guides have to. It's our office, and when you have a 1M liability policy, to add even a $30k coverage on a boat is not much more. Just a little more cream on top of the massive trough of profit for the insurance company. I don't like insurance companies...can you tell? LOL

Just wondering????

If you were heading across Kentucky Lake and ripped your lower unit of on a submerged foundation, would your insurance cover the cost? How bout a blow power head? LOL

Mike

http://

My boat was paid for the day I brought it home and I carry insurance. It would be kind of stupid to spend >$20k on a boat that will go 58mph and not carry some kind of insurance. Mine is covered for liabilty, theft (replacement value) and contents. I leave my depthfinders mounted all summer and they are covered by my policy because the brackets are permantly mounted. I would probably remove them if I actually towed my boat away from home. The tow vehicle insurance covers the boat while being towed.

Bob G.

FYI...58mph on the water, 90mph behind my truck! I should check the trailer speed rating someday!

Agree with Bob G,

I have my boat insured for liability, theft and contents. Have a rider for all my fishing stuff in and on the boat.

Carlos

Mat they would cover it if you hit something. My insurance company paid for my new lower unit when i hit a submerged log on the CT. River doing likie 50 mph a few years ago. They paid out about 2800 bucks for the repair and i covered the $100 deductable. I dont think they would cover a powerhead.

Hopefully the powerhead would be covered by the warranty and I hope to never find out!

Bob G.

"Drive it like ya stole it!"

Even with an older boat like mine having good insurance makes good sense.If I was to tag a stump and tear up my lower unit,I don't know of anybody in their right mind who would want to put a new $2,000 lower unit on a $3,000 boat.

Without the insurance to cover it it really limits your options on what to do with it.

Not to mention the liabilty insurance that in my opinion you should not be allowed to register a boat without.

Steve

i agree with everybody, why not have it insured. remember it you that you are protecting.

i just added contents coverage to my policy for a wopping $35 a yr.

well worth it.

Back