Boat cover help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
I need a new boat cover for my 160TF. I bought a cheap one from Academy Sports a year or so ago, but everytime I leave it covered for 3 or 4 weeks my seats mildew. I tried leaving it half covered (it is under my carport) same problem. The evening sun if left uncovered beats it up. Would a better cover help??? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Bubby:)

Yep a better cover will help a ton. It sounds to me like your cover doesnt breathe very well.

My current cover does the same thing to some extent and what i do to combat it is i put a small fan at the opening in the rear blowing out and open up the front by the tm a little. The fan will draw the air thru the cover and it will help keep the moisture at bay.

My plan for next year is a now cover too. I'm going to have mine made by Aurora Canvas. I had one of their covers for my 882 and it was water tight and breathed extremely well. It was very pricey at ~600 bucks but worth it since i store outside 100% of the time.

Aurora Canvas does (in my opinion) make the best covers you can buy at any price... but they are pricey.

I've seen "vent kits", like this one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/DSCF1278.jpg

, but I've never used one, so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

They also make pole vents, but I didn't care for the design of those. They are available though:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=163504F

I've had the issues you are speaking about. Any amount of water left in your boat will cause it. If you have water in your bilge, and cover the boat - it's gonna happen. Best advice there is to take your drain plug out every time and put a strip of fabric loosely into the hole, far enough to be in the bilge residual water and going all the way down to the ground on the other end. The fabric will "wick" the remaining water out of your bilge.

All the best,

Glenn

I had the same problem with mildew when covered with a cheap tarp..

After I cleaned my seats with mildew remover..

No more problems while my boat is covered with my Aurora Canvas custom cover.

Rick

Boat%20cover.jpg

Boat%20Cover%202.jpg

another options would be a tent type canopy. You could lower the canopy to the boats level to better protect it...just a tought

JgJ

Latest posts

Back