Boat Anchors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
I have a non-fishing boat question for everyone. My "other" boat is a 20' fiberglass ski-boat. I bought it used and the guys was getting out of skiing completely so he threw in everything including two anchors. One is a round three prong anchor and the other is the kind that the bottom pivots back/forth. Neither one seems quite heavy enough and I would prefer having just one in the boat due to storage space. What is the best kind of anchor including weight, style, and amount of rope required? The conditions would be generally anchoring in 15-25' in lake coves while kids swim. Some wind and wave action, but not extreme. Other condition would be anchoring in 10-20' Illinois river(mud bottom) current. I'm sure there are anchor experts out there so here is your chance to be a hero. Thanks.

The best all-around anchor is one the the "flukes" (two pointy swiveling prongs that pivot around the main bracket). But for this kind of anchor to work properly, you need to attach a good foot or so of heavier chain to it, and then the chain attaches to your anchor rope.

I use a river-anchor. It has three broad fixed flukes and is similar to a "mushroom" anchor. It holds well in both current and waves, but you need to match the weight of the anchor to the size of the boat and predominant water conditions it will be used in. So, for me, I went up one size because I primarily use it in moderate river current.

I'm with MO, I used the Fluke when I Bay fished in Galveston and it held with no issues. I also have the fluted mushroom anchor on my 175 and do a lot of weekend anchoring in coves with the family. I know if Rich Stern chimes in he can talk to experience about anchoring BIG boats, but my biggest lesson was making sure enough rope is let out to allow it to hold. I think I remember my manual saying 2 X times the depth at a minimum which requires careful planning to ensure you drift into the correct location when the anchor rope is out and catches.

This cabin fever-- Snow packed Roads in KC-- temp=2..

When the wife and I went to the Coast Guard boating class--The book / instructor said to connect your anchor to a 4-6" of chain -- then hook your rope to the chain -- This will help the Anchor grab-- also they said 7 to 1 rope to depth--Thats alittle much I think.. I only carry 75" of rope..

Hey MO -- Do you still fly fish?? The FlyFishing store the wife manages -Has 2 Groups going to Chilli for a week of fly Fishing in Feb.--Good thing I don't fly fish--do not have the $$ to go anyway.

HaleDamage

Hale:

Sure do. I just had a reel re-spooled with new fly line last week, and I picked up a some split shot and a few sub-surface flies (midges and a half-dozen San Juan worms).

I'd love to go to South America! My dad was born in Brazil (he's still a U.S. citizen because his parents were), but I'd also love to eventually try fly fishing in New Zealand.

We're going to have three guys using fly rods in my boat this weekend. It will look like a spaghetti factory exploded.

ALWAYS keep you anchor wrapped in an old life jacket and in the rear of the boat.

A short chain (2-3 feet) will suffice with a bass boat but Coast Guard regs state that you need 5-10 to 1 depending on the depth and seas for the anchor rode (once you tie a rope to an anchor it becomes a rode).

Mini

Back