Best Grub?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I've taken a liking to fishing a BPS twin tailed hula skirt grub 4" on a weedless jig head the last few times I've been out. It has worked around docks when its hot and also worked yesterday when dragging it along the bottom in 8-10ft of water.

I missed a few bites which made me mad. The fish would slam it once and I would attempt to set the hook and the fish let go or I yanked it out of its mouth. My neighbor said it was because I was using a medium action rod (spinning with 8lb line). He said it wasn't stiff enough to set the hook. Is there truth to that?

Also, if you fish grubs alot, what do you find is the best as far as action and scent. I've seen people dipping them because they said "it makes them hold on longer". Any truth to that?

Kalins grubs for the best action... You need to spray/dip them... I like Garlic/salt

Best Grub?

Without a doubt.....

Eggs Benedict with home fries at the South City Diner! :)

Med/Hvy rods are deffinitely better for that bait....especially Med/Hvy spinning rods. They'll still have a fast/sensitive tip...but more backbone for a stronger hookset.

I love those BPS Twin Tailed grubs too......I use them ALOT for smallies up here. I've used them unscented and I've also rubbed Mega-Strike on them and I catch just as many either way....a little extra scent never hurts,...but I don't think it's mandatory!!

(if you can get away with fishing that bait with an exposed hook...do it!! Your weed guards may be the reason more than the rod's action!!);)

Mac

I use the Yamamoto twin tail hula grub with a 2/0 gamagatsu EWG. The rod I use is usually a G Loomis medium action 6 1/2 medium action fast tip but I have also used a G Loomis ultralight fast tip 4' rod. Both are spinning rods and I use 6lb line. I don't use scent and have found that the only time I have not been able to set the hook is when it is a small sunny or small perch that is only nibbling at it although when fishing for smallmounth this happens often regardless of the size. I don't know about other grubs but the yamamoto grubs are so soft, those hooks will go right through the grub and into the bass' jaw when you set the hook. Until I got my boat, that is primarily all I ever used fishing from my kayak.

Crawling it so it very slowly swims above the bottom a short distance and then letting it sit on the bottom usually brings me the best action.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

I second the vote for Kalins. I like Yamamoto's also, but the Kalins last longer. I dab a drop or two of KNB (KickNBass) on them - I use the crawfish scent on most everything. I use a 6'6" MH spinning rod with 8 pound test Trilene XL. I make my own jig heads, but they are very similar to the 1/4 oz Bass Pro Shops XPS series shad jigheads, and I use Mustad hooks in the molds.

Mac, I might have bought those grubs while I was with you guys in Michigan. I remember buying a few things at BPS like tubes and I'll bet you are the one that told me to get those. You so smart. :wub:

I was using the weedless jigs because there is so much crud on the bottom of that lake. I didn't want to spend my time being hung up. I may be naive in knowing how to rig a grub weedless like you do a worm. If so, help a sister out!

I will look and see if I have any med/heavy spinning rods. I think most of my rods are medium. I looked thru old posts today to see when to use medium vs med/heavy vs heavy. Not sure I understood you peeps very well.

I fish grubs a lot and for a regular grub I use the Zoom fat alberts. For spider grubs I use the Yamamotos.

I also like med action rods that are a good 7'. Though the action is light and I only use 8 lb test max, the extra length of the 7' rod (or the 7'4" Loomis rods) give a greater sweep on the hookset. This along with ultra sharp hooks makes up for it. I rarely ever have a fish get off that I've set the hook on. Occassionally they will break the line, but I don't miss many.

I also take the weed guards off as I think they only get in the way and leave the point of the hook more exposed. Of course, where I'm fishing is open water and a weedguard is not really needed. I only worry about moss and grass. Weedguards don't really protect from that anyways.

The key with finesse fishing like with grubs is to do more of a sweep than a solid hook set. Then keep the rod up and tension on the line.

Swing your Triton up here sometime to Champlain and I'll show you all about dragging grubs for big smallies.

Yammies are great...I plan on using some at Patoka at the end of the month........I fish them slow Teri.....

Teri,...use a 1/4, or 3/16 round ball or football head jig with a 3/0 hook,....BPS carries them.

Next time you're in the store, ask for "Stuart" in the fishing Dept. and tell him you're a friend of mine,...he'll hook you up. Just thread the grub on so the hook point exits out the grub at the hooks bend. Slide the grub all the way up to the jig head and for best results,..use a dab of fishin' glue and glue the grub to the jig head.....You want the grub to hang on the hook as straight as possible. I'm sure I have a cartoon somewhere that shows a TTgrub rigged......I use them so much I even draw them in 'toons!!..LOL

(Roundball or darter head jigs are best for swimming grubs,.....and football heads are best for dragging them along the bottom due to the erratic action and the inability for the jig to "roll over" and snag the bottom because of the heads design).....I'll look for a drawing..

Mac

PS,...I edited "Dan J." out,....ahahhaa...I forgot he's in Atlanta.....Stuart is in Nashville!!;)

grubs.jpg

Teri I fished Percy Preist this week. I killed them at night on a BPS Tripple Ripple in the watermelon seed 3 inch. Also We used a Strike King 2 inch bitsy tube in black neon and watermelon and cought fish. We fished from 6 to 3 am and cought about 40, most of them were small but we didi manage a few keepers. If you need more info let me know. But the tripple ripple is deadly anywhere.

Donnie

Kalins......I will use Yamamoto in the skirted and the Ikea. Fro crappie, mister twisted makes a smoke salt and pepper grub that is deadly.

TOXIC

I like the Chomper garlic grub on a chomper head green pumpkin kills them in my lake

JD

When grubbin' I use the Chompers twin tail skirted with a pegged weight. Those things are super smelly!

Oh Yeah... Put a glass rattle in that fat puppy!!

But don't tell anyone about it!!!!

Back