Best All Around 18ft Bass Boat-Patt, Mac, Mini, Toxic or whoever can help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael S

Reaction score
In the next couple of years I was thinking about upgrading to an 18ft glass and I have 3 brands that I really want to look at, Champion, BassCat and Ranger, and I am just looking for advice on which direction to go, I know all these boats are good quality and any of them would be a great choice...but what will make one better than the other and which boat will be the best all around boat as far as handling, ride, and fishablilty.....

Thanks in advance for the help guys

That's a tough choice,...I'd take any one of those 3!! LOL

Check into the dealer support in your area and let their CS reputation and price play a major role in your decision. As far as quality, performance, comfort and resale, all 3 of those brands are top shelf, IMHO.

If you're 2 years away from buying,......just wait and see what "new" innovations or designs come out,....that may make your decision a little easier for one over the others...but as of right now,...I'd base my decision on the local dealer's reputation and the OTD price providing you were comparing comparably rigged boats. I'd be happy with any one of those 3 brands!!

Mac

I'll agree with Mac, those 3 are all good boats.

Here's something to think about. Buy this years model 2 years from now. You'll save a BUNCH of dollars, and will have 'some' knowledge about what it's been through. There are all kinds of deals that come up, for varioius reasons. Team boats that are on a '2 year cycle'; divorce; financial problems; people that cannot get the time to fish that want to get out from under.

If I was buying a new boat right now, I'd probably go with the Champ. Almost bought exactly what you describe, 2 years ago - but found an 18 foot Stratos (95 model) in great mechanical shape for under $10K.

Tex

Question?

Why not look into the Nitro NX882 with a 150opti.

i feel the 882 offers the same if not better ride in the 18' class of any other boat manufacturer. the price is fair and the fishability is second to none.

just my 2 cents

GregD

I have thought about looking at the 882 as well.....as I have heard good things about it....I just worry about the service I will get, and I really want to make sure the fit and finish is done correctly....I am not trying to bash Nitro...just referring to the stories I have read on this web-site.

JimBob...

My buddy has a dual-console 882...

I have waaaaaaay more storage and deck space in my TV-18...and I take the chop better than he does...

I wouldn't waste your time...

az

All are good choices. Are you planning on fishing any BFL's or Everstarts? If so, then it's easy, go with the Ranger as you can get Ranger Cup money and early entry. Other than that, try running each of them and see which hull and layout works best for you.

Thanks for the heads up Andy....

And no Rob I don't plan of fishing any BFL's or Everstarts....But I do want a boat that will handle rough water well....I fish Rayburn, Toledo Bend, and Conroe and sometimes I am limited on where I can go depending on the lake conditions.

Hey Pat what would a nicely equipped sabre run me....the 19ft won't fit in my garage...and if I can save the 100.00 a month storage fee I am going to try. But that is a good price.

All 3 are good boats. In your neck of the woods I would certainly add a Skeeter to the list. I know of a brand new 19' w/200 Yamaha for $25k.

I agree with Tex, look for a used money saver. If you have the time to shop you can find some smoking deals.

My order of preference for the 3 you listed:

BassCat

Champ

Ranger

Mini

I like the skeeter as well....but the one thing I do not like is the full front deck on the skeeter, I really like the little cut out and step area that the other brands have. I know its something pretty small but I just like that look. If Skeeter had one with a cut out it would replace the Ranger in my search. But I do like the idea of maybe picking up a used boat one or two years old.....

Hey JimBob in 2 years I might sell ya mine. If all goes as planned I will be upgrading to a 206.

2004 Champion 187cx, Dual console, 150xr6, lms480 on console, lf1440 in dash, Eagle 480 on bow, MK max74 24v, I love this boat and it is awsome but if I step up to the big time I will need a bigger boat.

BF

It would have to be a heck of deal for me to drive to MD from Texas

I have right around 22-23ft to work with right now...I think I would need the swing tongue on any of the boats I choose.

your going to get as many opinuions as there are boat owenrs Im not speaking as an expert but as someone who has been in about every boat made the boats you are talking about are all good I had to have some fiberglass work on my boat I asked the owner of shop what his opinuion onall difrent boats he said he does all warrenty work for all major boat mfg. said there is not a dimes worth of diference between any as for as quality right now I run a Nitro 929 which is a nice boat but I fish LO in mo and on sat afternoo with all big boats out we have 5 to 6 ft waves coming from all directions the best riding boat ive been in is a Charger that would be my next boat asfor as getting a team boat or pro staff they are going to be bigger than you are looking for

pmgoffjr.

i have no dout that you are by far the most knowlagable on this board when it comes to set ups. i wish i were in Texas because i would be coming to see you this weekend about the pantera. i have stated and will again that if i had the money in my hand today i would by a Basscat over all other hulls on the market.

i was only stating that for teh money the 882 is a good deal. No??

yall have a good weekend.

GregD

I agree with JD I have a 96 nitro savage 200efi It does a great job on Lakae of the ozark but my next boat will be a charger. Great rough water boat and good looking:D

I forgot to add that you should get optimax or the other moter equivalent I had efi and now have opti the difference in fuel usage is unbeleivable JD

Greg,

No disrespect, but when you add up like rigged boats, to like rigged boats, and total the bottom line, the Sabre is going to run the same as an 882, and a P Classic just a touch more, but just a touch.

And, not meaning to sound arrogant, anything but...if you do investigate how boats are built, and what goes into them, it does get easier to see differences.

I'm not saying the 882 is bad, it's probably the best bang for buck nitro builds, and it's one of my favorite nitros. But, their pricing advantage of previous times no longer exists, if you know how to look.

The on the water price is what you need to look at. I got my left over (never in the water before) Champion for less than I could have got an item for item left over 882 at BPS, do I think I got a better boat? No, did I get a better deal? Yes and a better dealer. Like everybody here, DEALER first brand what ever. It's the dealer that is going to make your longterm purchase your dream or your nightmare.

BF

Back