Batts

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Ok someone was telling me the other day about the batteries they use in their 882, what were they? I am not talking about the ones that come with the boat. I would like to replace the batteries I have now with some better ones in the future, I am pleased with the Interstates but I would like something that would last just a bit longer.

Thanks

BJ

Thought you said you were low on cash!!LOL A new set of batteries that are "better" than interstates would be Trojan (wet flooded cell)or possibly Optima (gel cell). They are going to set you back some $$ though. I have been happy with, and not had a problem with 3 Everstart Marine Maxx batteries found at your local Wally World. I would also look for some AC Delco's if you can find them.

TOXIC

BJ -

When you're just starting out, you want a good battery at a fair price that will last. And, if it doesn't last, you wnat to be able to replace it under warranty at someplace convenient to any lake you may be fishing.

Can't beat the Everstarts at Wallyworld for that!

me!

Bj, i have the trojan scs 225 in my 882. They are bigger then the factory ones and require a tray replacement but its no biggie to swap them. The scs 200 will fit in the stock tray and give lots more reserve capacity then the factory batteries.

I have had nothing by grief form the johnson controls built batteries( everstart, interstate, die hard...) they dont seem to be able to withstand rough boat rides well and in my experience have a tendency to short plates after a rough ride. I had it happen to me 3 times last year alone. what i spent in pro rate charges in the last two years are more then what i paid for my current batteries. I dont care how good a warranty is, the best one is the one you never have to use. Being able to go to walmart may be conveinent, but how conveinent is it when your batteries die at 10am on day 1 of a two day and the only walmart near where you are staying has none in stock and the next closest walmart is a 3 hour ride away? I would much rather spend a little extra money up front to get a better quality battery that gives me more time on the water and one that i can depend on day in and day out.

I have not used any of the expensive batteries. From the reports, they seem to work pretty well.

I have used quite a few of the 'Johnson Controls' batteries and have found the following:

They for the most part are decent batteries. They have given me good service, but like others have stated, need to be replaced occasionally. Other than gel batteries, almost any battery is going to be affected by rough riding. For me, that hasn't bee a problem, for if it's real rough, I either slow down or don't go out. Simply a personal preference.

Like Me!, I like that if needed, I can go to any WalMart and get a replacement. I put one of their big yellow marine batteries in my boat last year (cranking battery), and it has performed very well - including in a night tourney (two nights). I will be replacing the two trolling motor batteries this spring with Everstarts. I like the ease of getting them, and the cost.

If you need absolutely near fail proof, long lasting batteries, and have plenty of money - try the gel batteries. If you are like most of us, and have to watch the pocket book, try the Everstarts.

Always check the deminsions (including the height), to ensure new ones will fit properly. And make sure your electrical connections/cables, are of the highest quality and correct size.

Tex

Tex, One thing you need to keep in mind on the everstarts is they prorate after 12 months. Last year when i had to swap mine for the second time because my original recipt said they were over 12 months old i had to pay. Some 30 bucks a battery for the pro rate charge. Then some two months later when they failed yet again i dumped them. $ sets of batts in two years is unacceptable in my opinion. Im my last boat i had delco's. I ran the boat for 6 years with the same set of batteries and never replaced them, boating in the same water i do today. if i could find them at a reasonable price i would have them now.

Boating in rough water is something i have to deal with. Its pretty rare i get a calm day in my part of the country. If its not wind its 2-3" waves from boats. The johnson controls stuff has proven to me it cant handle the rigorsof rough water boating. If i decided to not fish when its rough i would never fish.

Another thing to look at is construction. The johnson controls batts are duul porpose start/deep cycle, the plates are thinner to be able to deliever faster current for a start appilcation. The trojan scs series is strictly a deep cycle, for a given size it had more reserve capavity and thicker plates, the weight of the battery reflects that.

Like everyone i have to watch the budjet too but i would rather spend a little more for a higher quality product and njot havre hassles. For me the extra 50 bucks i spent upfront is well worth it for better merformance and longer life.

Jim,

I realize they pro-rate the batteries. But they also are supposed to have a date stamp on them that they punch out when you get a new one. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

The Everstart batteries (yellow) are cranking batteries. They also have a deep cycle battery.

Regardless, everyone has to make their own decisions on cost/availabilty/endurance for their own application. For me, I wouldn't know where to go to buy a Trojan battery around here. But I know where Wal-Mart is.

Tex

Tex, just an fyi the group 27 and 31 everstarts are a "dual purpose" battery. They never date stamped mine. We dont have the ones with auto centers here, you just take them to the cash register and check out. The walmarts near me almost never and i mean never have them in stock, they carry like one of each type. The walmarts up here arent with they are in other parts of the country. Its like home depot, if i need something chances are they wont have it.

Everstarts for me. There is a Wal-Mart in just about every somewhat major town in Oklahoma. Especially around the tourney lakes.

Thanks guys!

I am not changing them out anytime soon. I was just curious to what ya'll ran.

BJ

Back