Battery Charger Issue??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Lambeth

Reaction score
I noticed today that my battery charger was giving off a lot of heat. Also, one of my batteries was making what I describe as a slight fizzing sound. I've always left the charger plugged in between outings and never had an issue before. It's a BPS 3 bank battery charger.

Should I be concerned?

Check the output voltage and make sure it is what it should be. I had one that went bad and started cooking my battery. I went thru two BPS three bank chargers before I switched to Guest! Been happy ever since!

Could also be a bad battery, if the plates are now touching or if there is enough sediment in the bottom it will cause it to short out and kill your charger?

BF

Thanks. I'll check out the batteries too.

Boat related expenses have been killing me this year!

Dave - you do know what the definition of a "boat" is, don't you? Answer: a hole in the water where you throw money!! :D:D:D

I bought the boat new in March 04. I checked the batteries last night and they seem fine.

I looked at the charger more closely and noticed a few other things: 1. The "charging" light doesn't come on, only the red "power" light 2. When I plug it into the extension cord, it makes a spark.:eek: I will buy a new one this weekend.

Thanks for the help

Dave, the batteries are at least 3 years old have them checked before replacing the charger. Have them load tested which is free at most shops. The charger may be bad but it may be smarter than you think. Just because the fluid level is fine does not tell you the battery is OK. A fizzing battery is a sign of an over charge or a bad battery? If you smell a sulfur smell. unplug at the OUTLET and run like heck. Battery exposions are not fun.

BF

Bruce, I am taking them to the local marine dealer to get checked out tomorrow. Last night, while installing the new charger, I found issues with both batteries. The first battery is still fizzing. The terminal on the other battery was so corroded that I had to take a hacksaw to it to disconnect the old charger. Now it has a loose terminal that is a stub. Hopefully, I won't be replacing two batteries this weekend:angry:

Latest posts

Back