Batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Corson

Reaction score
I have an '04 NX882Dc with the Merc 150EFI engine. At the end of last summer, my cranking battery @#$% the bed :) It was the interstate oem battery. I believe its a 1,000 amps, not sure if its 1,000CCA tho. Anyways, my question is this. Do i specifically need a MARINE battery for the cranking battery. Its like $100.00 for the replacement. At Walmart where i work parttime, they have a car battery with 1,000 amps, and i believe its like 875CCA, and with my discount, it would be like $65.00. Can i use a car battery for the cranking battery, as long as its comparable in amps? Thanx for the info, Jim

I believe that marine batteries are designed to take more of a beating. They are subject to alot more bouncing and jaring than a automotive battery. Chris F.

Get the marine battery. And my suggestion is, get a great one. I replaced my 'oft replaced Everstart Marine batteries' with Trojans. Haven't even thought about replacing them. Same type of maintenance.

On batteries, you are going to get what you pay for.

Tex

marine (deep cycle) batts are designed to discharge at a slower rate.........unlike a car batt which needs power fast at short periods of time.

your much better off w/ a marine batt esp if your electronics are running off of it.

If you want to stay with your discount, get the WalMart Marine Maxx. Get the most CCA/Reserve Capicity you can. With an EFI you can get away with less which means more is better!! If you had an opti, they require 1000cca minimum.

TOXIC

Jim - if you're replacing the cranking battery for the motor, then you probably could use an automotive battery. The cranking is different from the deep-cycle batteries used on the trolling motor. Deep-cycles are designed to better withstand constant discharge and recharge cycles, where as cranking batteries (with thinner plates) are designed to put out more amps in short bursts then get recharged quickly with the alternator on your motor. That all said, the marine cranking battery may be able to better withstand the bouncing and jarring of a boat better.

Jim, I use a dual purpose battery for my cranking battery. It has a fairly large capacity for cranking and is designed to discharge sorta like a deep cycle while the motor is not running and powering the pumps and fish finders (all electrical stuff)

I HAVE READ ALL THE REPLIES, AND STILL UNCERTAIN WHAT I'LL DO. PROBABLY GET THE ORIGINAL INTERSTATE BATTERY FOR $100 @ MY LOCAL NITRO DEALER. THE BATTERIES AT WALMART, LIKE I SAID, DON'T COMPARE (MATCHING CCA AND MCA)TO THE ORIGINAL INTERSTATE BATTERY, AS THE INTERSTATE IS 1,000 MCA AND 800 CCA. I BELIEVE THE MARINE MAXX AT WALMART WAS 875 MCA, AND NOT SURE WHAT CCA'S WERE. I DON'T DO TOURNAMENTS ANYMORE, MAYBE AMONGST THE GUYS ONCE IN AWHILE BUT NOT THE CLUB TOURNEYS. IMHO, TOO MUCH BS......... SO I RARELY RUN MY LIVEWELLS, AND THE BOAT DOESN'T HAVE A RADIO. SO THAT BEING SAID, I'LL PROBABLY BREAK DOWN AND BUY THE INTERSTATE, AS I HAVE HAD DECENT LUCK WITH THEM. ITS $25.00 MORE THAN THE WALMART MARINE MAXX BATTERY AND THE INTERSTATE BATTERIES HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO BE A GREAT BATTERY "FOR ME ANYWAYS" OVER THE YEARS, IN ALL 3 BOATS I HAVE HAD OVER THE YEARS. ('88 LOWE V-16, '97 NITRO 700LX, AND PRESENTLY, '04 NITRO NX882DC). THANX ALL FOR YOUR OPINIONS, JIM C. FROM NEW HAMPSHIRE, AS I HAVE NOTICED THERES ALSO ANOTHER JIM C. ON HERE AS WELL.

Latest posts

Back