Bassfishing "Charter" question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Hey folks...

Question...

Son is in 8th grade band...

Everyone knows that band always has fund-raising events.

Here's the deal...

They sent a flyer home asking for parents to provide something to 'auction' for their fund-raiser. They gave plenty of examples of both 'goods' AND 'services.' One of the 'services' listed was to provide a fishing charter...

OK...lightbulb above bald head..."I" can take out 1 or 2 on a bassfishing charter...

After I signed up, I got to thinking...

Other than making sure they have a license and providing them with a PFD, do I need to do anything from a 'legal' standpoint? I was thinking along the lines of a liability disclaimer in case they were injured, etc.

I am not a liceensed guide, and this 'trip' is only meant as a 'fun thing'...just wanted some opinions...

When we take a 'buddy' fishing we don't do anything special...

What do you think?

az

If you put a value to it you are guiding and better have a liability policy that will cover your patoot. I'd talk to my agent to make sure. I offered a trip in an auction that my daughters school had and the winner never called me. You cannot write off the price of a charity trip on your taxes either (rats!!).

TOXIC

There was a thread on here some time back that pertained to this topic. There was a lot of interesting information in it. Does anyone know what the title was? Andy could do a search and read that thread to get some more input.

Wolf

I would have them sign a little informal release form and such.

T.S.

The release probably wont do you any good. Dont offer it as a charter. Offer it to the charity as a fishing trip. Nothing more.

Call your insurance agent, just to double check your liability policy, have them sign a release anyway.....technically you need a DNR license and depending on the water you are fishing, you may need a USCG license. BUT technically that is taking someone for hire. If he doesnt pay you directly, I dont think you need one.

Mini

Regarding the fishing trip? Yes. I have been in contact with the "other" parties....

Mini

Back