Bass Pro ticking me off

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
No doubt many of you received promotional coupons from Bass Pro. I received a $20 off $100 purchase or more coupon recently and attempted to redeem with an on-line order. First, there is nothing on the Website order screens that instruct you where to include the promotional code to receive your discount. I called BP customer service and they said to enter it in the "special message" box which I did, but was not confident it would work. My fears were relized when, two weeks later, my account shows not discount. I must mention that I used my Bass Pro points for this $125 purchase and assumed all but $20 worth would be deducted from my account as I was told by the customer service agent.

Of course that was not the case. I called this morning and was told I would not be receiving my $20 off as "offers may not be combined". Now I see a combined offer as trying to use two coupons at once or something similar NOT using my Bass Pro points. No where on the coupon does it mention not being able to use Bass Pro points for a the purchase and as a matter of fact it implies that you can by stating that "Purchased gift cards and redemption of rewards points will be deducted from qualifying merchandise totals". If this is a non-qualifying total it certainly is not explained anywhere.

I am sick merchants being penny wise and pound foolish in situations like this. I feel they should provide me with my points, a $20 gift card,etc to honor the coupon. What do you all think? I am cutting up my BP Visa and going with Gander or Cabellas point program. This is ridiculous.

Bass Pro has gotten a serious case of bottom line myopia. Gone are the days of dealing with customers FIRST as a way of protecting the bottom line. Years ago, I walked into that store, I was treated as if my concerns mattered; they couldn't try any harder to make sure my needs were met. Nowadays, I have trouble getting out of the store without running afoul of a policy or an asterisk or some fine print.

I bought a Buck pocket knife there the other day. The price in the store didn't match the price on the web site and the circular; fortunately, I was paying attention at the checkout, which I don't always do. Was sent from the cashier to customer service to get a "permission slip," making my 5 minute visit to the store a 20 minute visit. And that type of stuff seems to happen more often than not, which is why I go there a few times a year, versus the couple times a month I used to go.

I understand your frustrations, but I wouldn't suggest that last course of action you mentioned. Gander Mountain never has what I want, and Cabelas always seems to be higher priced. Do this - go to BPS and Cabelas websites, and start adding items to your "shopping carts" on each site - the same product from both location. Chances are, BPS is less expensive. That's not to say BPS's prices are good - just better than Cabelas in a lot of cases. Recent case in point for me - I was going to order arrows and broadheads. That's it. Both totalled up - Cabelas was $19 more expensive on the total for just those two items. Ouch.

All the best,

Glenn

I have always had great service at the Hanover (Baltimore) Maryland B.P.S. I've taken articles back and was never asked anything about it. They just gave me my money back!

I was looking at an expensive rod and reel one day and trying to decide whether to buy it or not when a salesman came from behind the counter and asked if he could help me? I told him I really loved the rod and reel I was holding but was hesitant because of the cost. He asked me to wait a minute while he went back behind the counter. He came back with a B.P.S. sales flyer that showed the same rod and reel at $100.00 or so cheaper. When I told him I never saw the flyer he asked me if I was sure and when I said yes, he took the rod and reel from me and with a Sharpie and changed what the ticket said to the $100.00 off price;) It was already on sale and that's what he deducted the $100.00 from. That made it a great deal:cool: Toxic was there that day and I asked him what he thought and he was amazed at the price and loved the rod and reel and told me when I got rid of it he'd buy it from me. He probably remembers that. It was the first time we met.

I don't go to B.P.S. much anymore but when I do I have made it a habit to wear my

"Viet Nam Cap" because the last couple of times that I did I got a discount at the register:D The day I bought that rod and reel that was marked down to that great deal was the first time that happened so even after they took $100.00 off the already ridiculously low sale price, I got another discount at the cashiers checkout!!

However, I have had two instances with problems and both of them were with B.P.S. on-line. In one they sent me a box with a dozen or so articles in it that I did not order. Then, after sending me someone else's stuff, they didn't want me to send it back?? When they finally concurred that they messed up they still wanted me to pay to ship it back.

Well, that didn't happen.. BTW, I never did get what I ordered and that started a new episode of BS.:eek: I do not shop at B.P.S. on-line anymore..

Uncle Billy

I stopped shopping with BPS phone-in a long time ago - probably before online ordering became the norm, but I don't use that much either. I called one day and I still remember part of the conversation. I gave the lady the catalog ordering numbers, and she confirmed my order for me... "So that is a char-tree-use spiner bait and a silver Rat-a-lin Row-Gu". HUH? Oh. No. It's pronounced "Chartreuse spinnerbait and a silver Rattlin' Rogue" :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I know the catalog division is different than the Retail Outlets. We have people bring stuff back for us to return occasionally but the catalog division has their own inventory. I have tried to get stuff from the catalog shipped to us but it ended up that it was just better to have the customer order it from the catalog. I was faster and about the same price. WE'v e even had times when the price on the same item is different. Doesn't happen much now but it did.

We will also price match for the same item if the store has a storefront. Like Cabelas,

scheels, Dicks, etc. Service from the different Retail Outlets differs widely. I was appalled by the Orlando store and pleasantly supprised by Gurney Mills, Ill. I'll drive right by the Mother Store in Springfield and not stop.

Just remember nothing and no one is perfect. The only place where I'm consistantly treated great is "Hooters".

fatrap

Ok, I will eat a small amount of crow. BPS customer service just called and said they are sending me a $20 gift card to cover my "non-credit" to my rewards points account. BPS is back on my Good Guy list on a probationary basis.

I was about to echo Uncle Billy's experience - of course, not as great a discount, they've always been good to me. I remember fishing with Bill in VA on the hotside and throwing a lure with my then-new BPS Pro Qualifier rod and reel when the side cover from the reel flew off and PLUNK into the drink. Went to BPS the next week to ask the guy behind the counter where I could buy a replacement side cover. He looked at it and said here, take this and gave me a brand new reel. Didn't want the old one back, even! I asked him how he knew I was on the up and up. Laughing, he said, "well, I know you didn't buy that at Cabela's!" Had to laugh with him and thanked him for his help.

Hard to say, but I would not doubt it. They told me that using rewards points is supposed to have no bearing on the use of a promotional coupon and that it was a mistake. Also that they are in the middle of revamping the on-line ordering process to avoid similar mishaps in the future. We'll see

I have been in a few BPSs but the nearest is 2 hours away from where I live so most of the time, if I am going to purchase from them, it is online. Like the saying goes, if you are treated right by someone you may tell one person, get mistreated and you tell everyone. I have always been treated fairly by BPS and have never had a problem with online orders, it may happen next time, but so far it hasn't. Making an effort to correct a problem is always a good thing and as fatrap said no one is perfect.

I've pretty much experienced all the good and bad mentioned above, and the one that irritates the most is the initial complaint about entering some comment to get a promotional discount. Spend a bit more money on I.T. instead of ads, and the customer satisfaction issues will increase your sales more than the sales flier du jour. Come on,its not that hard

Latest posts

Back