automotive repair question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brone

Reaction score
If there are any automotive fixer type folks out there, I've got a couple for you.

1) Where can I get replacement door lock cylinders for my wife's 95 Prizm? I broke one replacing a door handle. Might something like that be a somewhat standard type item?

2) On my 99 Dodge Ram van, my check engine light came on, then she began to run a little rough when I would step on the gas. It seems to back fire from under the hood when I hit the gas moderately to heavily. It seems to idle fine. Maybe just a tiny bit rough. Also, the C.E.L went off after a day and then came back on the next day, then off again and stayed off. But still running rough.

Thanks for any input or advice.

Jim N

You might see if the Dealership has your door Cylinders. Maybe the nearest Junkyard as well. Prob cheaper there. The Van's O2 sensor might be bad. Are your exhaust's really black and sooty? Might be running rich if the sensor is bad.

Max <><

The exhaust doesn't seem to be black or abnormal. I have a stupid question...Where is the o2 sensor and can I replace it myself? Thanks Max.

JimN

Jimn, On the door locks, it's dealer or junk yard. In the cel. Dodge has a wonderful function.

Turn the key to run and then off, back to run and then to off, back to run and then to off. This wil cause the C.E.L to flash in cycles to reveal the codes in the computer. Flash flash flash pause flash flash would be a code 32. Count the flashes and let me know and I will decode them for you. Another option would be take it to an Autozone (if there is one near by) they will scan it for free. Again let me know what the codes are and I will try and help.

BF

P.S Don't buy anything off of the free scan... Just get the codes..............

Thanks guys......BruceF, I just did the on/off thing. No flashing CEL.

I will take your suggestion about he Autozone. BTW-what if the CEL is no longer staying on. Will the code still be revealed with the diagnostic check? Thanks

The codes are stored, so yes they will get them. Let me rephrase something Off to run. DO NOT Turn to start (crank the engine) also it has to be 3 off to runs in like 5 seconds. It's Off run, off run, off run, off run.... Thats when you should get the codes. 55 is end of codes, 22 is batt disconect at some time. It's whats between those two that count.

BF

To simplify the search for the Prizm Lock cylinder, Change your search to a 95 Toyota Corolla. Same car -- different grill and emblems.

On the Ram Van -- the O2 sensor will not cause it to run rough. You need to go to someone with a scan tool. It will most likely show a P0300 code for a random missfire or a P0301-P0308 for the individual cylinder thats missfiring. If the tune-up has alot of miles on it -- do a major tune-up with cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and filters. Being a 99 it is OBD II and will require a scan tool to clear the codes after the repair.

The O2 sensor will make it run rough. Case and point. My Wifes Honda had a O2 sensor Prob. Ran like crap for a week. Check Engine light came on. The code came back "O2 Sensor". Replaced it and it ran great. Power was back. Fuel mileage was back. I also had a Ford Ranger that had the same problem only worse. The Soot would fly. No power at all and fuel mileage was down and I mean way down. Backfired all the time. No code's came up. Then, we changed out the O2 sensor. Fixed the prob instantly. If the Van has a lot of mileage then you are going to want to change it out anyhow and have a complete Tune-up. Not sure where your sensor is at on your Van. It will be near the front of the exhaust though. If you get a Diagnostic done, have the mechanic show you where yours is at. Pretty easy to do it yourself. Cut and paste the below link

www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/o2sensor/o2sensor.html

Max <><

All very helpful stuff here guys. Thanks very much. I am going to have that major tune up done soon.

Back