Attn: Michigan Anglers

• Thread starter Marke Cicero [URL]http://www.lakestclair.net/forum
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
Many of you may already know that the MI DNR is trying to change the current Bass season. Their proposed changes will reduce our already short tournament season.

A few guys are spearheading an effort to challenge the DNR and stop these changes from going through. They are holding meetings to educate anglers and show us all how we can help stop the DNR from taking our tournaments away.

See the link below for meeting dates and locations. The first one is tonight at Bass Pro Shops in Auburn Hills. Please try to attend and show your support and help protect our sport.
http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=29&t=17562&s=284815c5818516e7243ebdd1c773ae16

This is my comments based on a bass fisherman and not a professional. Personally I like the proposed season change that the department is recommending. Studies have shown that taking these fish off the bed, the success rate is near zero. Plus I have seen many fisherman that are targeting bass before season and never get a ticket, because there is no way that is would hold up in court. At least this way it makes it legal to target bass most of the year. There has to be give and take by both parties and I believe that this is a fair way. I am a tournament fisherman and I really enjoy it, but the state should not make policies based on the minor (tournament fisherman) or even major (fisherman in general) political pressures. Policies and rules should be done to protect the resources! My personal opinion! I know many of you will not like my comments, but as stated just my opinion.

Jon

If people knew the actual number of fish in a lake, they would truly realize what little if any impact bed fishing has on fisheries the size of Champlain or the Great Lakes. If they wanted to implement it on smaller lakes, fine. But leave the big water alone so the tourney anglers can make their living. It really doesn't hurt the fishery anywhere NEAR as much as cormorants do and you don't see any states jumping to take care of those do you? MI and NY could both use to whack those birds.

Agreed Rob....

There is only one study that shows an effect on taking bass of beds. That has to do with the goby population too.

The biggest misnomer is that we as bass fisherman DO NOT catch ALL the bass. There are fish that spawn in areas that no man woman or child knows.....

Mini

So how'd the meeting go???

I'm going to try to make the one at D&R...

Anyone else thinking about it?

There is a Hooters nearby...

az

Back