Anyone with Easy Anchor Solutions???

• Thread starter William Birkett
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Birkett

Reaction score
Hi gang...

I have been having issues trying to find the best anchoring solution for my PT175. I currently use a 5lb chene (on 50' of poly anchor rope) and that holds very well... My problem though is trying to find the best solution to deal with all the loose anchor line that gets everywhere. In my prior boat, I used two original anchor mates and they worked nicely. I am torn with my current boat because I don't want to continue using the front cleats and the loose rope and I don't want to drill any holes in my new boat...

At this point I am just wondering how everyone here deals with anchoring. Please help me decide what works best in my case by sharing your good and bad experiences. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I don't always anchor but fishing with my kids sometimes means that I stay in one place longer than I normally would...

Tight Lines,

Bill :unsure:

Not wanting to drill limits your options.

I mounted a lift-n-lock on the front (BPS has them for about 10 bucks) very low profile, and use an extension cord holder(looks like an H with a handle) to hold the rope. It keeps everything neat and out of the way.

Rich D

Bill what I have is one of those plastic heavy duty electrical cord holders you buy at home depot its something that is used to roll up the orange heavy duty electric cords.......Also once I set the anchor and tie it to the cleat I put the rest of the rope into a storage bend on the front deck that way all I have on the deck is a small piece that runs from the lid of the storage bend to the cleat .....does this make sense.....

OhOh... Let me clarify... I understand the solution may require drilling holes but I want to make the best infromed decision how to do this rather than hoping I get the best solution the first time...

Please help me see more workable options whatever they may be...

Tight Lines,

Bill:unsure:

Well, my solution required about six holes on the bow, next to the trolling motor. It works well except that the anchor is always out on the deck. The locking device wont hold the anchor snug like an anchor mate when not in use, and the rope is threaded through the liftnlock. But my deck is fairly large and it has never been in the way. They may sell one that releases the rope when not in use and that might solve your problem.

Rich D

I went through the same questions last year when deciding on an anchoring system for my PT185. I wanted an anchor system that wouldn't be in the way when I didn't need it, wouldn't make a mess & would contain the rope & anchor when not in use or if I was under-way. I finally settled on a Minn Kota Deckhand 40 system and couldn't be happier. I set mine up on the front of the boat w/ a removable MKA Quick Release Bracket & the remote switch under the console. I can remove the whole system when not in use or so the trailer-able cover can be put on the boat.

Down side: Cost & One time installation time (took 3hrs to complete) :wacko:

Upside: Convenience (controlled from drivers seat while watching the fish finder), removable, easy to use, No Mess. :D

Bonus: It is electric, power rules!!! :cool:

Pic of bracket on front of boat:

Anchor Bracket.JPG

Pic of system:

Deckhand 40.jpg

If interested see my Library for all the parts...

Dennis

I did like you did on your old boat, one Stainless Anchor System on the front non-skip pad. Been there for 5 years and does great!! Keeps it out of the way when not in use and works great.

Trep

Wow - guess I'm one of the few that steps out onto the front non-skid pad. I've been known to fish right off that platform. My anchoring solution is a 15 pound modified mushroom (the kind with three "prongs" in a mushroom shape - believe me its needed for some of the current in the Potomac!). I tie off to the left cleat on my PT 175 and excess line is stored in the front locker next to the rod locker. Not the most elegant system, but simple and very cheap!

Yep I have one and wouldn't be without it...especially by yourself....right next to the TM

Also...keep your anchor in your rodlocker to prevent any mishaps.

boat.jpg

Come on now Tee, you just wanted an EXCUSE to show that PURDY Shiney boat!!!

Not really...just proud of my anchor system:lol: I've used it at least a dozen times already this year. What I like about it is when it's in the down posistion...it pays out line automatically until you switch it in the off or lock posistion. My switch is right behind my seat on the deck so I can or my partner can reach it from the driver's seat or rear deck:D

Back