Any Experience with Optima Batteries?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with Optima Batteries. They are interesting...www.optimabatteries.com. At about $190 each I figure I'd investigatew a little before I buy three of them.

Greg, I have a blue top (dual purpose) that I use for various projects. It has spent time on various boats, starting generators, jump starting boats, cars. Today I used it to crank over a jetski that hadn't been started in four months. I keep it charged up on the shelf in the garage, and I use it whenever there's a 12v emergency.

They're great for a variety of applications. They will hold a charge for a long time when not in use, they can't spill, and they can take a lot of abuse.

BUT! Pound for pound, a good quality flooded deep cycle of the same size will give you more amp hours. So, if trolling battery endurance is critical, it's not the best choice. They're a great choice if you are lousy about keeping your battery water level checked and full.

Greg, Rich has great Marine Battery info in the "Links" section in case you have not seen it. It looks like Optima Batteries do not have as Many Amp Hours as other Batteries, also a Battery Rep told me they must not be charged at too high a voltage or it will shorten their life. Some Outboards do not have voltage regulators that meet an Optimas Requirements

Latest posts

Back