AGM Batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
I was looking at my new Cabelas catalog last night and came across deep cycle batteries called "AGM" style batteries. In searching our records did not find many references here on this site, but did find some on other battery sites. They are not a wet battery nor a gel. They can be mounted in multiple positions because there is not fluid to leak out. the main thing that got my attention is that because they are not a "wet" style battery so they will not freeze if left in a boat over the winter. I'm sure there are limits to this, but in my area(Central IL) we rarely get hard freezing for more than a few days or week at a time. We do however get a number of rogue days(50-60 degrees) like yesterday throughout the winter that if I did not have to go through the hassle and pre-planning to re-load batteries and stuff into the boat I would be able to go at a moments notice to one of our local power plant cooling lakes that are always open. They sound like pretty decent batteries at the high end of performance/durability, but also costly compared to wet batteries. Same vibration improvements you get with Gels, but supposedly they can be charged back up much quicker. Just curious on anyone that might have used these recently. My current position is to buy a new Trojan scs200 to replace my "starting to get weak" interstate that came new on my boat in early 2003. Any comments or info would be appreciated.

Hey Downstream,

I'm suprised you did not find my posts last year 3/2005 related to the Cabelas AGM's, I picked up two gr 27's last year on sale. They go on sale in the pre-Spring event. I first got the gr 24's but for a little more money, I exchanged them for the gr 27's wich had a lot more reserve power.

I have nothing but good things to say about these batts, problem is, I sold the boat six months later so I don't have any long term reports on them. But fir short term, they recharged very quickly and always seemed to have full power on the electric only lakes I fish often. I had two gr 27's set up with a 70lb 24v MG, and like I said, great power, never felt like they were getting weak. I really liked the idea of never having to water them, and will most likely get 3 gr 31's for my Ranger this Spring.

CJL

also - I went to a Cabelas to buy them, right next to them on the rack were the Optima's, once you compare the specs on reserve and amp hours you would ask yourself how or why would Optima sell for so much more money. :)

If I still have the site, a cross reference from battery to manufacture, I will post it when I get home from work.

I remember seeing AGM in the list.

cq

Pardon. I am broken record on this issue.

Unless you are very hard on your batteries, with AGM, you are paying for product features you probably don't need. The most important aspects of AGM batteries are:

1) They can be mounted in any orientation

2) When not in use, they discharge more slowly than flooded batteries

3) No water maintenance required

4) They are more resistant to vibration damage

For a typical bass boat, sitting in a garage or driveway, with the batteries sitting upright in a battery tray, connected to a modern, onboard battery charger, the advantages AGM technology offers are somewhat wasted. Unless you fish really rough conditions on a regular basis.

And, AGMs generally have less amp hour capacity than quality flooded cells of the same group size.

Think about it: Despite the extra cost, do you ever see any maker of AGM batteries market the product by saying they run longer? Nope. And, with current technology, you never will. Considering that AGMs typically cost 50 to 100% more than similar capacity, quality flooded cells, unless you need these characteristics, you will get better value by buying quality flooded batteries.

AGM batteries are great technology. But they are not some panacea for extra hours on the water.

Spend your money on gas and bait.

Go here and check out your brain cells.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden//batbrand.htm

Back