aerator question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Sometimes when I turn on my aerator all I get is humming and after several minutes it starts pumping water. Other times water is pumped in immediately. Could the incoming line have debris in it? I have put the hose into the incoming hole to blow it out (when cleaning up) but it did it yesterday-took several minutes to start pumping water into the well. Once it fills, I turn on the recirculator for the rest of the day. Oh, 2004 PT 175. Love my boat! kenny

Probably just a bit of air trapped in the line. I've had them do that before on other boats. I noticed that if I had the drain closed before I started the pump, I'd get a air pocket, and the pump would take a while to "prime" itself and get water flowing. If I left the drain line open, water would already be in the line, so when I started the pump, the water flowed immediately, and then I just closed the drain. That might be your problem. Give it a try.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Glen....as a matter of fact, now that you mentioned that- I had the drain plugged so I unpluggged it to let some water in and right after that it started to pump. Simple fix....thanks again......kenny

You're very welcome. I love the simple (no out of pocket expense) fixes. Now if someone could just come up with a way to keep the speedo pickup hole on my outboard from clogging up..... :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Kenny - One other idea/thought I sometimes had to do (and heard others) is if you are just getting air, put it in reverse for a few seconds and that also help "push" the water into the pumps.

Good thought TrepMan....makes lots of sense....will give it a try and thanks again for the help and info.....kenny

Back