Aerator Pump Replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
I just went through all of the archives and was suprised to not find the answer to my question. Although I have seen it debated a few times. Yesterday while fishing a looked through the floor drain on my 2003 PT175 and saw a lot of water, which couldn't be good. When I opened up the back hatch lid the outlet nipple on my aerator pump housing had snapped off and I had a steady stream of water pouring into the bottom of the boat. I flipped on the bilge and it could keep up with the inflow so I headed in as the fishing was not that great.

When I get home and begin looking at how to pull out the pump it begins to get interesting. I have found no way to get the pump/bracket/valve assembly out. Everything had to be put in prior to the deck and gas tank. The bracket is attached to the cross memeber somewjhere under the gas tank. I also cannot seem to loosen the pump from the lower fill/drain valve unit although it must unscrew some how. I was able to disassemble the pump housing from the base and if the housing from the new pump is the same then I can just swap those. Not totally easy, but at least doable.

When I talked to the dealer about the pump they said it will unscrew from the lower valve. I will wait to try that after I get a look at the new pumps so that I fully understand the threading. I saw a number of posts from the past, but none for this new of a boat and none that stated exactly how it is done. Anyone tried it recently on a newer tracker. The housing must have been cracked or the hose was putting too much side load on it and over time it just snapped. I have not done any work back in this area(not sure how anyone would with the tight fit) so I know I have not damaged it in any way. Well if anyone has comments or tricks let me know. If not maybe I will be able to add some in the next few days.

Go back thru the Archives and do a search on replaceable cartridge type pump...I should put something in the grab bag but, just don't have time anymore:(

E-mail me if ya' want......

Sounds a lot like my 1998 PT 175. The hose fitting broke off in the hose when I took it loose.

I pulled the pump from the bracket and retrieved the broken fitting from the hose (WD-40 will help there if it is in the hose). I used JB weld to glue the fitting back together and kept it in a vise overnight. Next evening I put another application (thin one)of JB weld around the entire circumfrence of the fitting. When I reinstalled, everything went well, even screwing the pump back in.

It didn't look like the pump mount and the flow valve would separate easily so while the pump was out I flushed all the hoses to and from the livewell, working the valve. All I need now is the time and interest to put it in the lake and try it out.

Search for a posted link I recently made to a picture of the pump bracket, or go to my library. To remove the valve unit would entail fooling with the push pull cable from the control switch by the seat. Unless it disconnects at the valve housing I don''t think I would mess with that. Removing the bracket will take drilling or grinding out the rivets on the bracket. Replacing them doesn't sound like much fun.

Replace them with The Flowrite Cartridge type and you'll never look back. Did it on my 02' and it just unsnaps and twists right out for cleaning. Piece of cake....wasn't much for the pump either. I can try to get you a part # if I remember:huh:

I replaced both of them on my PC 175 with the Mayfair removable cartridge ones, similar to the Flowrite ones T used. I too did not do a grab bag, bad Treppper!!!

It takes a bit of contorsion but if you loosen the pipe clamps in the bildge and unscrew the fittings from the outside of the hull, you can remove them, don't forget the power wires!!

Back