Aeration Pump

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herndonpro

Reaction score
I have a mystery problem. One of my recirculation pumps only works when the boat is sitting on the trailer! If the boat is in the water it does not pump. It comes on, but does not suck water through the intake hole. I have no idea what could be causing this. Any ideas? I have checked the hose and pump and there are no obstructions.

Thanks, HP

I have had a similar problem and it ended up the pump was just at teh end of its life and needed to be replaced.

Steve - Jim's response seems plausible given that the pump will olny run it has no water to suck into it. Not strong enough to actually pull water in but enough to just run while out of the water. Too bad it's a brand new boat but should be a warranty issue.

BTW - Was out for about 3 hours yesterday and boated about 12. Met with a potential new partner for the FOM so it was more of a first time date to see if we were compatible. Seems to be a great guy so looks like I will fish the FOM again this year.

Let us know what the story on the pump is.

It is the recircultion pump so it draws water from the livewell and pumps the same water back in, so the water supply is not a problem. The pump always comes on and runs strong, for whatever reason it will not draw in the water from the livewell when it is sitting in the water. I wonder if it has anything to do with the angle it is sitting at on the trailer as compared to on the water?

Bill glad to hear you had a good day and good luck with the FOM.

Steve

Have you checked it for debris? At times there could be some "gink" (for lack of a better term) that will block the water or the water forces it into the impeller to stop it from working.

I have had a similar problem with my 901 ever since I bought it. My pumps are 700 GPH "Rule" brand. No recirculating pumping action when on the water, but works fine when I try to check it out sitting in my driveway. When fishing a tournament, I end up running the freshwater pumps all the time. They have never failed me yet.

I bought two new 750 GPH cartridge "Mayfield" pumps to replace them with. I'm hoping that will cure my problem.

RoyC

On that 901....

Make sure your livewlls arent crushing your hoses....you can check from the rear compartments with the insert removed.

The 9 Series boats have been known for this problem. The livewell "expands" when full of water and the hose is routed under the livewell. Over time the hose gets crushed or pinched. In extreme cases the hose will develop a crack and leak directly into the bilge.

You might want to check your wire gage also. Over time corrosion can weaken the supply of juice to the pump. They'll spin air a lot easier than water. It saves the builder a few bucks to use small gage wiring, but it creates its' share of "ghosts" over time. It never hurts to upgrade your wiring. That's what fuses/breakers are for. Good luck!

I've had those new pumps since last Spring. I'll practically be upside down on my head while I attempt to replace the original pumps.

RoyC

My 901 has the same problem on the passenger side tank. I thought that it was the angle that the line from the tank is at while the boat sits in the water. I have also replaced all pumps and there was no change. In order for myself to fix this problem quickly, when I am on the water I will idle the boat forward until pump starts.

Latest posts

Back