Added Mercury Optimax /DFI 2-Cycle Outboard Oil to remote tank- now smoking at idle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pimpsy

NTO Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noticed that some other oil was being used in my new (to me) 2013 Nitro Z-7 with Optimax 150. Decided to purchase the recommended Mercury oil and added the full gallon to the existing oil. This left the tank about 80%-ish full.
Now, after running at all, when I drop to idle, it blows a fair amount of smoke. I drained the oil down to about halfway and the condition might be slightly better, but still smoking at idle.
Now I see a sticky online somewhere about NEVER MIX MECURY OIL IN THE REMOTE TANK. Ugh.
Can anyone offer any advice?
TYIA,
Pimpsy

Noticed that some other oil was being used in my new (to me) 2013 Nitro Z-7 with Optimax 150. Decided to purchase the recommended Mercury oil and added the full gallon to the existing oil. This left the tank about 80%-ish full.
Now, after running at all, when I drop to idle, it blows a fair amount of smoke. I drained the oil down to about halfway and the condition might be slightly better, but still smoking at idle.
Now I see a sticky online somewhere about NEVER MIX MECURY OIL IN THE REMOTE TANK. Ugh.
Can anyone offer any advice?
TYIA,
Pimpsy

First off do not mix different oils. If the oil was a blue color then it mite have been Mercury's premium plus. That oil is for non DFI motors even though it will work. Opti-Max DFI oil is brown and a lot thinner. You should start from scratch, drain your main tank and the aux tank on the motor. Then with just one gallon of Opti oil fill aux tank and the rest in the main tank. Both oils are full synthetic and do not smoke as much as regular 2 stroke oil. You have to have a starting point so you can go by the process of elimination to diagnose the problem.

Thanks for your reply, Jerry. The oil was not brown, I think it was sort of greenish blue, but it was definitely the recommended oil:
Mercury Optimax /DFI 2-Cycle Outboard Oil 1 Gallon 92-858037K01
I started getting four beeps every couple of minutes and I'm waiting on the engine mounted oil sensor to be replaced. Not at all sure how this explains the white smoke; my feeling is that something is going on that the mechanic hasn't put his finger on yet, but we'll see.
In the meantime, I bought VesselView and I'm waiting for that to come in so I can see some data for myself.

Back