A survivor's story every boater should read!!

• Thread starter Rich D [URL]http://www.ontariofishing.net/cgi/mess
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I have permission to share this with you people here from Les, the author.

The message is loud and clear. The tragedy says it all and needs no further words.

This is the words of Les Culp Jr, one of the gentlemen in the boat and good friend of the deceased Mike Sebrun.

-------How it all went down---------

I'm sure alot of you are wondering what actually went down in last weeks accident. I'll try to be as thorough as possible.

Mike and I went down to Huntsville last week for two things.

One, for me to buy a deer licence and two, to check out a friends boat that Mike was interested in buying. Later on that day we had planned on going to put a beating on some smallmouth up by Mike's house so I met Mike in Emsdale where I left my truck and boat at his sister's and took his to town.

The boat we looked at was in exellent shape and Mike was pleased with it but he wanted to take it for a test run to see how it handled.

We agreed to meet our friend at the local boat ramp to take it for a spin.

At the ramp we put the boat in the water and I almost stayed on shore because they were only going up the lake and back, but I figured what the hell, I'll go for a ride.

All safety equipment was still in the boat. Our friend doned his floater suit and offered us a life jacket. Mike replied no and I thought about it but didn't figure that there would be one in the compartment that would fit me anyways , after all we were going to be back in five minutes.

We ran down the lake part ways and Mike trimmed the motor down and started taking some turns with it. we weren't going real fast but fast enough you could really feel the g's pulling at you and before completing the turn Mike would carve the boat in a different direction.

We did a couple of these and slowed down a bit. I turned to Mike and told him that if he got me wet I was going to send him swimming.

We chuckled abit and Mike sped up alittle and entered another turn.

Once again part way through the turn Mike switched directions.

Upon doing this the boat pitched throwing all three of us into the water.

When I finally made it back to the surface I found Mike and our friend screaming for help. We were all spread out from one another quite aways. Our friend was swimming toward his boat in an effort to catch it, but it was still in gear and idling away from us. I was the furthest out in the lake with Mike in between us.

Mike turned to me and said that he didn't think he was going to make it.Still trying to control my breathing I swam up to him and tried to coach him into breathing properly. This was the hardest thing to do being in the cold water. Next I tried to get him to relax while I pulled him along with me and to help me swim with him by kicking his feet.

Mike fought with me a couple of times trying to climb up the side of me.

I told him I was going to have to leave him there if he kept doing it.

He finally stopped and let me help him but he was growing slow and quiet. He said to me not to let him go and fell unconsious.

By this time a man had come out of his house and was standing on his dock where the boat had run ashore. Our friend and myself were both yelling to him to get the boat and come and get us.

Apparently he had tried but in getting into the boat had unknowingly hit the kill switch cord with his foot and the engine died on him.

Back in the water at this time I was struggling to keep mike's face out of the water and he kept slipping under on me at times.

It eventually got to the point where I had to let mike slip under the water and tread water with him there hoping for a rescue.

I believe I could hear the sirens of the EMS trucks coming at that time.

I tread water there with Mike until I too started slipping under the water. The decision was automatic, I had to let him go.

I watched my friend sink o

Wise words!!! Not a happy ending. We should all be more aware. Guide policy that the pfd's are on everytime the big motor is cranked but I must admit, when it is me alone or with another "friend" I don't always do the right thing.

I have respect for the water but I was an avid waterskier back when you wore a "belt" and although I had close calls, I have never had a fear of the water. I know better now.

TOXIC

It was blocked from my office. I read it tonight. I ALWAYS put on my PFD. I switched to Sospenders (auto inflate) this year, and wear it regiously when on the water. I always hook up the kill switch when running.

Practice safety like it means your life. If just might.

Both a sad and heroic story.

Tex

Sad story, my heart goes out to you,, I cannot imagine loosing a friend that way. Question for everyone. A buddie of mine refuses to put on a vest when in either my boat or his, After reading this story, perhaps in the future I will demand he put one on , or we dont go out on the water. Again sorry about your loss.

Brian,

In your boat it's your rules.PERIOD!!

You being a "pain in the azz",may just save his life someday.

Once I crank up the motor,the life jackets go on.My brother in law complained a little at first,but got over it real quick.

Steve

Very tragic... It's why I carry four sets of automatic SOSpenders in my boat... Everybody wears them when we move... period! No vest no fish!

In our recent Federation T, the tourney director came down hard on all of the participants. He said that you better have your PFD on, before the big motor is cranked, and not off until after it is shut off. Otherwise, if he spotted you, you would get the wrath.

Always like to see the Tourney directors maintaining safety standards.

Tex

Back