60" shaft

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Dallaire

Reaction score
Hey I have a real good deal on a brand new motorguide 82lb digital tournement edition that is 24v

He is asking $600 new in box. The problem is a 60" shaft is longer then my original. Is this a big deal?

What boat? Some trackers NEED a 60" shaft.

No, it is not necessarily a big deal and depending on the conditions in your area, may be an advantage. Allow me to explain.

My boat uses the @ 50" length, but I fish some big lakes in some very windy conditions. Being able to drop the motor an additional 10" would allow me to insure the TM blades remain submerged biting water.

Since the shaft is adjustable, you could raise the motor if you don't want the shaft too deep [like for fishing really skinny water], but then you have to determine if the elevated shaft would get in the way of your fishing. It wouldn't mine.

I'd love to have a 60" on my boat...like you said when it cavitates, at least you have the shaft in the water.

Seabass81: Echo what others have said. One additional note, measure the motor folded (stowed) as well. When in that position, make sure the extra long shaft does not interfere with anything like hatch compartment lids opening, etc.

Good catch Jim C. On my boat the extra length would probably extend outside the gunwale [sp?] requiring remembrancce as I came near docks ...

I would love to have a longer shaft on my TM (not to mention the extra 12 volts!) for the very same reason stated above. In rough water or boat wakes, the prop on my 52" rides above the surface.

But Jim's and Marty's comments also makes me wonder if I'll have problems with the boat cover fitting right if the stowed unit won't retract far enough back from the bow.

I guess measuring is pretty important.

I kinda understand why they do it, but they really shouldnt.

The longer the shaft you order on any trolling motor (MG & MK) means the deeper it will be when you use it in real shallow water.

When they "lengthen" the shaft, they lengthen the inner (lower) portion not the outer (upper) portion. The motor can only go so high in the mount then you hit the swivel bearing. IF they lengthened BOTH the upper and lower, you would be able to raise it and get to the same depth without hitting bottom.

I often thought about making a kit to allow that to happen, but I was too busy fishing or working :)

Yes lengthening the shaft will effect its stowed position, cover fitting properly, docking, etc. BUT when you are in rough water....you NEED the prop to stay in if you want to have any chance of holding a spot. Easy decision for me with the waters I fish.

Believe me when I say I would have a 10 foot shaft if I could. Only took once being on the front of my boat in some rough stuff on St. Clair to know why you need them. Mini had to get in the drivers seat and use the big motor to hold us on a spot....whatta guy!!:lol: I also had to tie off to a buoy fishing "the cribs" with LaMoy on Champlain. Downside is the shallow water thing but I find I need it more for deep rough water than

I do for shallow. I was fishing Champlain one year and my finder read 12 feet fishing the city ledges...to say it was rough is an understatement. How rough? The water just disappeared out from under me and my TM (short shaft and all) hit the bottom busting the lockdown pin and prop. That my friends is rough!!:lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back