400 Horses...

• Thread starter TOMMY RICH [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/59
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
400 HP and only 104.48 MPH....I guess they didn't get the "world record"...:)

TEE
bad merc.jpg

This may be a stupid ?, but I have no idea on this one. What is 1 HP. How did they come up with the term.. What does a horse have to do with power generated by a motor.

I've seen that before... I think that's a turbo charged diesel motor.

It is...I guess they're still tryin' to tweek out some more!

Hey, Bob G!

That is a neat site! It's now on my "favorites" list!

Thanks!

HORSEPOWER The work done per unit of time. 1 horsepower equals 33,000 foot-pounds of work per minute or approximately 746 watts.

The reason why the horsepower got defined as about three-quarters of a kilowatt is because it's based on how much work you can get a horse to do in a day. The definition of horsepower dates back to the the time when pumping of water out of mine shafts could be done by having a horse on a treadmill or by the more modern method of using an engine. Industrialists considering whether they should upgrade to steam power could be tempted by how many horses could be replaced by a steam engine and therefore how big a cost saving this represented. So, where a place previously required a team of eight horses to be kept, looked after, and be put to work in turns on different shifts, the size of steam engine required to pension them off would be eight horsepower.

I've tried to hitch 225 horses in front of my Nitro but was having lots of problems tying up to the boat docks and finding a parking spot at the ramp for all the trailers. So I think I'll just stick w/my Merc. besides it backs up better. LOL, For real, that is a good site Bob G!

Back