2 trips to the ER in 7 days

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I am changing my primary care physician to the Summit ER.

Last week....tore up my knee.

Today.....had a treble hook removed.

I tried so hard to push it thru on my own and the treble hook was too little to make it all the way out. I listened to some idiot at the dock and cut the hook off which left the entire hook in my thumb. That local shot hurt!!!! The doctor made a slice in my thumb and got the piece of hook out. Sure wish I could have done that on my own. Didn't have an exacto-knife handy. Day in the life of fishing....a least we boated a good one. :D

I feel for you Teri. One morning I ran several miles down the lake, had a bass on the third cast, while taking the fish off the hook the bass jerked and I ended up with the lure's hooks in my hand and still in the bass' lip.

Long story short, got the bass off the hook and back in the water. I had to put my boat back on the trailer with the hook in my hand and was in the ER by 7 AM. The removal was more than just a pain in the hand.

Sorry 'bout your luck Teri because I know how you fee.

Da Bear

I know how you feel, I ran up the lake one day and caught a big northern pike and while removing the hooks, I got one in my hand with the pike still attached. When you have a hook buried deep and a fish that is still green it equals pain.....My kids were young at the time and in the boat with me, both of us (the fish and I) flopped all over the boat with blood going everywhere, kids were screaming and the fish inflicting as much pain as possible.. To make a long story short ,finally got the fish unhooked and made it to shore and finally to the ER. The funny thing is, now if I hook a northern with the kids in the boat, they want me to cut the line and not tangle with it....They remember the day that the pike got the best of me....:angry:

Ouch... Have Toxic relate the hookout scenario... You dont want to cut the hppk if you don't have to... There is an easy (as possible) way to remove a hook.. And, it does not involve a scalpel...

Some bad luck Teri.....that has to hurt.

Mini

No, I didn't cry but I did get a little fainty when I was pushing the hook in further trying to get it to come out the other side. It was a small Bandit crank so the hooks were pretty little and I only got it to barely poke out the other end. After the guy cut the back of the hook off, there were 2 little nubs sticking out of my thumb. I tried pulling on those with needle nose but it wasn't happening. I did not want to pay $100 copay to the hospital to get it out but I finally gave up.

I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago and it was much more painful. Had a big drum on the end of the line flopping around and in went one hook and then he kept flopping and in went another hook. Still flopping and I was turning green at that point. Finally got rid of the fish and then had to walk back down the stream to the car which seemed like forever.

Next time I am getting it out myself. :angry:

Teri

At least the Doc didn't keep the lure. Common practice in fishing communities. Now replace the hook with a "RED" treble. I was watching a bassfishing show Sunday and the bass was hitting the front treble hook on a crankbait. The old hook was replaced with a red one.

fatrap

It sounds like most of you left the water after getting hooked...pansies. I got hooked by my partner in a tournament at 8:00 am. He saw a fish hit something on the surface about twice as far away as he could cast the rattle trap he was using. He rears back and lets it fly...it never landed. It was buried in my ear. He starts packing up to leave, so I said what are you doing, we're in a tournament. Just take the bait off the hook and keep fishing. I fished till about noon before the lightning started and we had to get off the lake. I went to a ready care and got it removed, and went back to the tournament. We still finished 5th or 8th(I don't remember which year I got hooked). In all fairness I guess getting hooked in the hand would be a little harder to fish with.:D

Gene

I wonder who hasn't gotten a hook in them? I have twice. Both require a doc to remove them.

fatrap

I havent gotten one past the barb yet (knock knock)

Mini

The one time I did it, the barb was just barely in, I numbed it with ice, used my knife and cut a small slit at the barb and popped it out.

Hang in there Teri. At least with the boat in the water, you don't have to try and launch with a bum knee!

Rich D

I got one on the inside of my thigh once while I was fishing in South America. Now with how sensitive that area is:blink:, you don't just try to poke it on through. After going to the nurses hut (thats right, hut), and I instructed her what local anesthetic to use, how much to inject, and where to inject it, and no effects whatsoever, we noticed it had expired almost two years prior. After lots of ice, errant cuts by the nurse on a semi-numb area, and much cussing, I had my dad take over to finish the job.

I learned to be careful jerking crankbaits out of trees!!

I have had a few minor hooks in the hand but nothing serious that it reguired a Doc. Cloths however...thats a different story. I have had hats land in the drink from wild casts by partners, trebles buried in my drawers from hook setting frenzies on top water, spinnerbait hooks and trailer hooks buried in the back of my rain gear suits...ya know stuff like that....

T.S.

Haven't hooked myself (yet), but in '75 while deployed to the Mediterranean, a young fellow I worked with hooked a speed boat that was zipping by close to the ship. To make a long story short, the look on his face when his rod was pulled out of his hands was priceless, lol. Ahh, the good old days onboard ship :wacko:

Hey Dave, how much are you selling your possessed boat for? Whoever got me in the eyelid (including my own kid) wouldn't be fishing with me again (not that close anyway). EYELID? I'd rather lose a jewel than an eye any day. Besides, it ain't like my jewels are precious :).

Jeese Teri, remind me that if I ever fish with you for me to wear a helmet :D

Hope that all heals well for you!

Carlos

Helmet,,,Gonna need body armor....BWhhahahahaahah...HAve fun up here Teri It's cold and nasty ......JR

Back