Z7 Trailer break help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Keeney

Reaction score
Feel dumb, but asking anyway. Just got the boat, 2008 model single axle nitro trailer. For some reason the trailer breaks/tires lock up when I am backing it up on occasion. Probably once out of every 5 times. Is it something I am doing wrong or just need worked on. I know it has a 4 prong connector (well 4 males, 1 female) that hooks for lights, etc...my connector only allows 3 males and female...could this be problem, electrical? Thanks again!

Yep the connector on your truck is the issue. You need a 5 prong connecter there as well. The 5th prong hooks to the backup lights and that activates the solonoid on the trailer that frees the brakes.

Does your truck have a round 7 way connector and an adapter to go to the 4 prong? If is the connector you have on the truck wired direct? If its a 7 to 4 all you need to do is replace that with a 7 to 5 which can be found at just about any walmart.

In the interim until you get the truck wired correctly there is a way to manually lock them out. On the actuator there is a lockout hole on what would be the drivers side of your truck. If you put the pin that is attached to the cable that you normally lock the coupler down with in that hole it will prevent the brakes from engaging. Jsut remember to put the pin back in the coupler before you drive home.

Heres the instruction manual for the actuator you have on your trailer.
http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/b866.pdf

You can also flip the plug over so it has the females not connected. Turn on your parking lights and back up freely.

Latest posts

Back