Your Knives... Favorites and

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
A thread on another site got me curious about what you guys use for a hunting/fishing/fillet knives.

I use a 30 yr old Gerber A475 (photo below) and an old Gerber Fillet knife (name/model escapes me)...

What do you use... and what don't you use (bad experiences)

My Gerber A475 can only be sharpened with a diamond paddle (it willeat most other stones) since it is a little "hard"... D2 tool steel I believe.
DSC00754.JPG

I left it large for "detail"

My fillet knife gets a LOT or use (I love crappie) and I use the Cutco expandable rubber handled knife (up to 9 inch blade I think). Mine was a gift and I liked it so well I was going to buy one for a buddy.....................not:lol: I didn't like my buddy that much!!:lol::lol: The knife has probably been re-edged 1000 times. I saw a show where we as consumers cannot actually "sharpen" our knives, we just bring the edge back (it rolls over with use). It takes a professional with some expensive equipment to actually "sharpen" them.

TOXIC

Fillets get the electric knife from Normark. I carry a K-Bar between the seats of the Powerstroke. A Boker tactical folder in my pocket. A Seal Pup in the boat glove box the side pocket has a multitool w/light. My key chain has a mini Swiss Army. I've stowed a Knife Tech self opener in the wife's car incase I;m driving it.

Also my carry holster has a small butterfly knife in a side pocket.

fatrap

my favorite knife is the one cutting into a backstrap that Mac grilled!!!

I have a Cutco knife. With my name laser etched on the blade :)

My 30+ year old Colonial pocket knife.

Restored it a couple of years ago. After using stainless blades all these years, I now fully appreciate the stay-sharp wonder of good, old fashioned, carbon steel.

My Dad's Remington Boy Scout knife (sheathed knife) that he received in 1929 from his father. The blade is a lot smaller now and had to replace the back portion of the sheath but the front portion still has the Boy Scout insignia on it. It still takes a great hone and is as sharp as a razor.

I also have a German Gravity Knife that my Uncle took from a German Paratrooper during WWII (after disposing of the German) that is in pristine condition. It is a Soligen and has a rigging blade on one end.

I have a homemade one thats great, but the electric is so fast it has to get the nod...

Latest posts

Back