You have to take the good with the bad

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
Last Thursday eve after work I headed to the lake intending on a quick run to check water clarity for the next few days fishing (Fri, Sat and Sun on St Clair). It turned to be a bad decision....

After idling out the river mouth and past the no wake area I gunned the throttle and was ready for a nice ride on a strangely calm day.....well that all ended quickly. :(

I heard some noises and shut it down, tried to restart....nothing. Dropped the trolling motor and limped her back to the ramp. Called the boat doctor and he told me to bring her in right away.

The doctor just called with the diagnosis and it wasnt good. Cylinder #5 cooked, which in turn broke the crank and then froze #3 rendering it basically as a very large, cool looking anchor. Block is shot too.

Headed to see it for myself and look at the numbers he is goiong to put together with different options. This is going to be difficult as my motor is well out of warranty (2001 EFI).....

Say a prayer for Bobbie, Greg and Greg Jr. My troubles are nothing compared to what that great family is going through. If ya want say a prayer for me to hit the lottery so I can get some new ponies on the back of the Ranger.....

Mini

Sorry to hear that Mini seeing how I need your boat in operation to whack those smallies!:(

Hope all comes out well.

Now we're BOTH boatless!!!:angry::( Well,...maybe our golf scores will improve anyway!!

Keep me posted!

I got a boat....just no ponies

a boat w/no motor = canoe! LOL We'll be golfing before we go paddling!!:blink::wacko:

Just look at the gas you'll save running nothing but the trolling motor.

Hate to hear it, especially that the whole thing is gone. On the plus side (from Seinfeld), you should see great improvements in your back and posture from the wallet thinning your about to receive.:D

I know you've been in a TV-18 before...

Come on over to the Left Side and I'll take ya fishin!

P.S. How bout them Red Wings!

az

LEt me know if you want me to start the search for a new motor although I'm sure you have a few sources yourself. Terrible news. Wish we were closer, you could use mine in a heartbeat.

TOXIC

Ouch! :(

But look at this way; you can now downsize to a more respectable, "green" motor. :wacko::wacko:

man that stinks how does something like that cost? does it mean U need a new motor or a can it be rebuilt?

Man that sucks big time:(

I know were you can get a deal on a cane pole and a lawn chair.;)

Hey, without the motor, you can pull it with a crossover!! Man, you are saving the world now -- :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Yep thats a total bummer Dude:(

That really sucks dude....but with gas prices, just get yourself 17 trolling motors and 20 batteries. You'll be fine.

I guess the CHIT is currently not accessible.

Dude...Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up and look at the bright side. The motor can only get better, not worse.;)

Thanks guys. I am headed to the shop to look it over and talk to the doctor.

The possibilities are endless, but one thing is certain. This block cannot be rebuilt.

So a reman powerhead is about $5k + intstall. I can buy a used motor for less than that so I may be going that route.

I will also be bugging all my Pro "buddies" for a line on a cheap newer motor....time will tell, but I dont want it to be down for long.

I do have a friend that has a 225EFI on the back of a ranger that is sittting in his driveway....broken mount. Might have to make him an offer....

I will keep yall informed.

Dont forget to pray for Bobbie and the Greg's!

Mini

ouch dude! that sucks for sure!!!

Trailer can get fixed up now, right???

Hope you can find a good motor to help repower man......

Boat is still on the trailer and it is at the marina doing the engine work. So no trailer repairs can be made yet, plus the money situation is totally up in the air.

I made the call to my insurance company as the mechanic found water in my oil reservoir, not a little...a LOT! Almost as if it had been vandalized. He doesnt think that it could have had water in it when I last had it out as it ran like a scalded cat (68.5 MPH with only me in it on a 15 mile run the Sunday before).

We will see what the insurance man says. I saw the damage and the water in the oil....I will post pics (cell phone pics) when I can, hopefully sometime today.

Mini

Somebody wanting you out of the Tournament game maybe?? As we all know, there is no earthly way water can get in your oil reservoir unless somebody put it there. When I pulled to Michigan, I left my oil fill cap off at the gas station and made the first run with it that way and even then I didn't get any in the tank. Got lots on the carpet though!!:p

TOXIC

That's a bad deal there. I agree that this had to be vandalism. It is not possible for water to get in there unless someone put it there.

Mini...You should make a vandalism report with the police..it would help back up your claim..it would be helpful if it happened say perhaps at a Hooters someplace and that the copper knew a thing or two about boats...Kidding there..but if it was vandalized, a report would be helpful..

Thanks smitty. I will be stopping in the SHPD today!

You can tell them you were at the Hooters [they do have a nice ham and cheese sandwich], but don't tell them you were there at 0200; that would not be helpful-;).

How could water get in there accidently? I have to plan a 1/2-hour and practice swearing just to put oil in--:wacko::wacko: Had to be an act of vandalism to be sure.

This is the world we live in ... :(

That's a good move Mini..By the way, I listened to your advice and took my rig to North Bay about a month ago for some minor stuff. I can't remember the techs name, hell of a nice guy though. He did some tweaking on my motor, fixed a couple other minor probs he uncovered and boy oh boy..my motor has never run better (sorry if that's rubbing salt in the wounds at the moment, but thanks for giving out the info on that place).

My seat's open if ya wanna go stick some..I do need to pay ya back fer haulin my butt out there...U too Mac..!

No prob smitty. Did you deal with Doug? He is the guy I know. Top notch....knows his stuff!

Maybe next weekend the three of us (you mac and I) can get out for a day of tin!

I cannot for the life of me recall his name..he had half a goatee (lower half) and a giant dip in every time I talked with him.

Next weekend I'm headed north with a vanload of dancing girls....(daughter's high school varsity dance team). The wife and I are chaperoning their end of the school year party at our cabin (seetle down all u pervs reading this...!!). After that..I'm open to suggestions..

Wow Mini, sorry to hear about your motor especially if someone did it on purpose. I hope you get back in the water soon. If you and Mac want to get on a plane to Nashville, you can have my boat June 21-July 5th. I am headed to Europe so it will be parked. You'd have a house on the lake and a boat. Just a thought! Hang in there and hope you find a good deal on something.

Smitty,

Thats doug. He is the bomb.

Teri,

Thanks for the offer, but I have tourneys starting on the 21st (our catch and keep opener on St Clair).

Mini

Hey Mini - You reckon Duer or Economu might have or know anyone with any Merc certificates in your area? (Tell 'em Big Dan says Hey!) Just thought you might swing a deal on a new OB with factory warranty at a good price. Wish you were closer. My techs can get a full block w/war. for about $2800, then figure another grand for the R&R. You shouldn't have to come out of pocket for more than $4K, even without a core. I hope your ins. gets you fixed up soon.

I am trying to work an angle with a Merc Pro Staffer.... I have calls to Daves, Horton, Maina, Parsons (all tracker guys, but I dont think they have the same deal as a non tracker guy) and Stone (hes a BassCat guy).

I have been talking with Chuck almost daily through this. Once the insurance decision is known I can move forward. I just hope it doesnt take much longer. The surveyor was out to the marina today, but all was closed due to the storms that blew through yesterday. They are w/o power....so I lost at least a day. Depends on when the surveyor can get back to the repair facility....

You know of any Merc guys with motors for sale?

Let me check. FOB from here may be a PIA, but it could be worth it. Most the fellas I know are in package boats of various mfg.'s.

The Tracker guys may not be much help if their deal was similar to mine. (Although I imagine the fellas mentioned deals' were/are most likely better! LOL!!) Tracker/Nitro Pro Staff deals are usually a package with the boat, motor and trailer. Merc (and the rest for that matter) then sends a check and a bunch of oil (or other product) with a merchandise allowance. (And a 1099 at retail from the bunch! LOL!!)

I'll see what I can find and send a PM. Keep your chin up!:D

Just a thought...Any chance of calling Randy and getting a deal at D&R in Kalamazoo?

I thought about Randy too, but in order to get into one at a price I can afford it would most likely have to be off model year. I will check his website to start.

Also need to call Kevin too.....he owes me a favor :)

I know about the package boats (tracker guys) thats why I was thinking Stone. But who knows....

Thanks for your help. I know my estimate seems high, but I didnt think it was THAT high compared to what you posted....but it is the north and we get screwed on pricing all the way around because of our short season.

I will do more research and thanks for your help Dan.

That really sucks. If it was me I would still go out and use the trolling motor. theres been a few times this year I did'nt even start the main engine. I just used my trolling motor and still had a great time.

:)

Update:

Marine surveyor has determined the root cause to be vandalism. all paperwork including the police report has been sent to Boat US and the Adjuster is looking over the case. I was informed that I was given the wrong claim number and that they were awaiting my membership application (WTF?). I sent it in last week along with the check for membership and towing. I also sent in my premium payment. This is right at my annual renewal for BoatUS Inurance (Angler package and trailering endorsement along with unlimited towing insurance).

So now I have to wait some more....

First tournament is Saturday. If I win enough, I will fish another open on Sunday.

BTW first place for the Saturday tournament is a Z7....

Mini

Check the NBAA website Mini.....

The boat that I'll be towing home Saturday is a:

A Tracker PT 190 w/Mercury 115 hp OptiMax :rolleyes:;)

NOT a Z7...:(:angry:

A boat is a boat when you aint got a boat :p

I am off to Europe for a few weeks so good luck in your tournament!

It has been announced on LSCN that it was upgraded to a Z7

I read that too...but why wouldn't they update the NBAA website if it were true??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and

TIME

UPDATE....

Just got off the phone w/insurance. They cut a check last week (even though I told them to hold off...lol) for approx $6500. Marina/repair facility came down in price a bit to approx $7800. I am reposnsible for approx $1300....I told em to fix it. Should have it back just intime for the 4th of July weekend (I have the following week off)

Thank you all for your help, well wishes, inquiries...

As for the tournament. We let our 15.6 pounds go. 21.8 won it. 19+ to get a check (top 12 got paid).

We endured the worst electric fishing i have encountered....sparks flying from my feet to the wet carpet, sparks from the rods, line floating....couldnt touch the rods at all! Through em in the bottom of the boat and sat down and waitied for it to pass (fast moving)This was at 9am.....big fish spot....they didnt want to play even though I saw somw PIGS follow a jerkbait (5 or 6 fish at a time, ALL over 5 pounds). It kept us there for 2 hours.....finally at 10am said enough is enough. We need some fish in the box....went bed fishing and had a limit in 15 minutes. Culled up to our eventual weight. With 2 hours to go we ran back towards the launch (approx 18 miles) and sat on another deep water post spawn spot....nada keeper....but the sky turned grey...then BLACK....looked at the radar on my phone and said "WE ARE SCREWED!". Big rain, BIG wind and then marble sized hail. That happened twice as we were heading in....BAD DEAL.

But the lowlight of the day was sticking a gamakatsu hook through my thumbnail. Hurst today....OUCH! I was bending the hook back into shape after a bedding fish ate it....it snapped and the point wnr through the nail, thankfully the barb didnt penetrate.

Tonifght is the start of the Tuesday night tournies....heading back to my first spot from Sat. If history proves itself they will bite tonight and we SHOULD win. Happened the same last year too....

Oh well, that fishin!

Good news, Mini. I wish they were covering more for you though.

Gene

Latest posts

Back