Yamaha VMax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I got my boat out of storage and took it to the dealer for it's annual check up. $590 later I am out the door. Oh, they did throw in 2 gallons of Yamalube, $17 bottle of some fuel additive, cut the ball off my extra hitch, and gave me an extra set of wing nuts. All 3 of my batteries were toast. I figured they were since they were 3 yrs old and cheap.

Any hoo, the point of my post is I spoke with the head Yamaha Service Technician for this region and he told me to use 87 grade fuel instead of 89. He told me to NEVER use 93. Someone (had to be from here as you are my source for boating needs) told me to never run anything less than 89. I've always used 89 in this boat but he said the motor was actually built for 87.

Thought this might save someone a couple bucks.

teri,

you should always use the octane number in your manual. In the maual for my vmax in large letters it says to use 87 octane, unlike a car that will state use a minunim 87 octane. It has to do with the burn rate and temp of the burns of different octane. at least i was told something like that, but in a nut shell stick with the manual.

mike

Prices get much higher,Mine will set or run on water,,Even thats gettting out of hand....JR:D

I'm not an expert on the DFI motors, but the old carbed motors could be used with any fuel by adjusting the timing.

Latest posts

Back