Wow I see why they are not selling

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
I had to take the Explorer in for a saftey recall fix. Looked around the showroom while I was there. 2005 was the last time we bought a new car. Now I know no one pays sticker but after seeing those prices I do not see how Detroit will ever be selling many cars for the next two years at least.

F150 4 door 37,00.00

Escape(not hybrid) 31,000.00

Flex 30,000.00

Taraus X 32,000.00

Mustang 8 cylinder 29,000.00

Mustang Shelby 51,000.00

Two things Jumped out right away at me. Why pay 31,00 for a regular escape when a f150 is only 6,000 more. Second I can get a 8 cyclinder Mustang for less than any of them.:lol:

I do not know what discounts are out there right now and what the other companies are selling for but I see why sells are off.

Just bought a used a 2008 Chrysler for 12,800 with 23,000 miles on it. It sold new one year ago for $24,000. I will never buy new again. I did buy the extended warranty 5 yr 75,000 miles.

I stopped buying 'new' in the late 80's. Everything after that has been a good used vehicle, saving quite a bit. Just need to find a 'good' one that has been cared for.

I'm like you, 'sticker shock' will take your breath away.

Tex

I bought a 2006 F150 FX4 this past summer with 31K miles for $23K. The sticker in the glove box was over $41K. No way would I pay that. They have priced themselves into a hole. In my naive way of thinking, and a little education thrown in, it seems to me that the big 3 continued to build product without really paying attention to the market. You over build the market and your booty is sunk. They do not understand the simple theory of supply and demand.

I've had pretty good experiences with the last three vehicles by "splitting the difference" between new and used, and using the internet to help the dealer find the vehicle.

I mean, buying a "new" vehicle however not the current model year. Prices have been for these last three, an average of 28% off sticker, by combining factory incentives and an enthusiasm of the dealer to get rid of this stock.

GM's site, and I;m sure Ford and Chrysler have the same, allow you to search for inventory all over the country, then most dealers will either swap or consigne the inventory between each other. I spent the time on the keyboard doing the hunting, and made sure the dealer "appreciated" the effort in an expression of the hours that save him and converted to dollars and cents.

On top of that, add a deeper discount like GM employee, friend, or supplier discount.

The big key to all of this is to NOT allow yourself to get screwed on your trade in. If one dealer simply wants to make up his lost profits on the new sale via the trade in discount, walk away, the next guy, or the one after that will.