Would you Relocate without a .........

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
1) Job Position secured, but market looks decent and could get contractor work.

2) No family within 600 miles, leave everyone else back home.

3) Need to pay mortgage, Cobra etc on your own

4) But have at least 10-12 months gross Salary at inception, after Downpayment for new house.

Yep, in a heart beat. #2 is a bonus [:lol:]; #1 will take of #3, and #4 is the fail safe.

LOL - I thought tha would be the easy part, turnns out the other family parts want to remain Yankees for ever :wacko:,

Oh Marty, my post might be confusing, and since you it say like you mean it, I want your opinion,

What I wanted to say is, NO Job secured, but market seems good/decent for me. But again no Job secured.

Maybe you answered already, but just to make sure.

Chris, I would LOVE to relocate. In my own household there my wife and I and three dogs and two cats. BUT, within just a few miles is my big sister and a niece that I adore and who took care of me when I couldn't do anything for myself. I can't leave them but maybe that's just me. My big brother moved to Arkansas last June and it broke my heart but he didn't mind. He's never been a "family" type if you know what I mean. I have so much equity in this house and with what I can get fr it now I could move to a lot of places and live like a king for the rest of my life. BUT again, I can't leave what family I have left who is here.

I know you are agonizing over this and I wish you all the best in making a decision that you will be happy with. Nancy and I will say a prayer for you so that you might get the guidance you need.

Uncle Billy

Bill,

The agony is Bad, Very Bad, I mean very bad, no sleep bad.

Scary without a job, but that's an easy fix, scary without Insurance for the boys, but cobra will fix that. But my Parents are being very quiet about this, not saying much at all.

This change will not have an immediate favorable impact from a financial stance, but should become favorable in a couple years as things settle and jobs change.

Stay in get poor quick NJ

or move to NC/SC and take a chance.

:huh:

Hey Patt thanks for the response,

Your first point is a good one, but.......almost impossible to do

We checked out the area and relly like it.

Chris....I picked up and moved from NJ 8 years ago leaving all family 1200 miles away (I am back now as you know) . I absolutely miss living in the south. I am not bashing NJ, I grew up here and have a definite place in my heart but this state gets progressively worse for the hard working middle income family. Property taxes are ridiculous, car insurance is out of control and now raising state tax. I have a buddy that pays $1200 a month in propert tax. The mortgage on my house in TN is $930 (and that includes property tax) on a 2300 sq. ft. house. Housing prices make it almost impossible to secure a house like I own in TN. Boating and recreation comes with a steep price here (PA $65 for an out of state license. I had a TN, Mississippi and Arkansas license and it still did not cost me $65). Me and my wife have come to the conclusion that we made a bad decision coming back. Believe me family was one of the big factors in coming back but we are finding it very difficult to get on our feet here. There was a nice feeling of being away and coming back to visit 2-3 times a year. I would make the move as I am now looking at moving back South again Nashville, TN and Deltona FL. are at the top of our list. It will take a little time to adjust but once you get in the Southern groove you will thoroughly enjoy it. Good luck but my gut says you will not regret it.

Yup and have done it twice.

As you say had enough bank rolled to get by for six months. Shoped three weeks for the first job, then used that as a spring board to get a better job, then on to a better. Three cahnges and then booted it all again and move another 1200 miles, this time back to my roots and started the process all over again.

Retired from the AF and moved to mid Michigan. Liked it but after a year and visiting the folks on Cape Cod could not find a good reason not to move tothe Cape. Kicked it all and moved again.

Chris - I assume 4) is that housing is much cheaper in the south, so after you take the profit out of your existing house and put a good 20% down (so you don't get PMI or have a second mortage) you will have close to a year of your current salary in the bank?

My wife and I did this same thing, but we didn't have the kids. She was accepted to Graduate school in Houston, and I didn't have a job yet. We got married, went on our honeymoon, met the movers (we had to pay) the day we got back and moved. It took me 3 weeks to secure a job (good skills in a good market), and we were out of the apartment and into our first house together in 10 weeks.

Its a risk, but sometimes you have to take risks, IF the reward is worth it to you and your family.

Trep

CJL, I didnt realize you lived in NJ. :unsure: Been there done that.. Punt and run! jk:p

Jeff

#2 is a bonus only if you're talking about relatives other than frau and kinder. If you meant F & K, then move only if temporary and they will follow later. If the Frau and Kinder are intent on staying yankees [which is in fact a good thing], then you must stay as well.

#1: I understood as not job offer in hand, but good chance that you can find work in relatively short order. Your #4 would pay the bills [#3] in the short term and then #1 success would take over; allowing you to start paying back into #4 nest egg.

That said, you have been in a state of personal turmoil for some time now and perhaps a move [even one that is not a sure thing] is the right move. But remember, take a hard look at your ability to get success in #1. If chances are 60-40 or better, than give it a try.

I'll continue holding a good thought for you and your family.

Can you take 2 - 3 weeks to go job hunting in the area you would like to move to? Worse case scenario, you can always move back close to the family. I am counting down (42 mos, 25 days) to retirement. I want to get out of Maryland as soon after I retire as possible. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks All, still back & forth at this moment.

Marty, the family staying behind is the grandparents, I offered to take them in, still won't budge and we are the only children with children on my side, my siblings do not have children.

Yes, personal turmoil has taken it's toll and we are much ready for the move. I would have to think that #1 is a 70-80 chance or better, thank God I passed the CPA exam a few years back.

Trep, I would put down 2/3 of the house and mortgage 1/3, if I go lower end on housing I could possibly have no mortgage.

It's a tough decision and I thank you all for your input, I think our biggest mistake was to continue looking fo houses up here, becuase we found one that would hinder our finances but it's what we always wanted.

Chris,

Charlotte is a Banking town. Lot's of contract work available, but will slow down significantly after Thanksgiving. Jan/Feb traditionally slow. Right now, the contract market is HOT.

And, although Charlotte has some size to it, it's still a small market. Depends a lot on your background/skill set. I believe that the Raleigh area has a wider base, maybe not quite as big though.

If you want to talk to some contract recruiters, let me know. I'm tied in very good with 4-5 of them right now. They certainly can take a look at your skills, and give you an honest appraisal.

Tex

You are in a tough spot !!!!

Although the grandparents aren't saying anything now...there is a good chance they eventually will...I think you know what they will say being your children are the only grandchildren.

I also live in NJ and moved into the dream home less than a year ago...I am barely making the mortgage with a huge "improvement" loan tacked on...

I also have all my family within 45 minutes of me..

I think I will make the "get away" long after my Mom is gone and I am getting to retirement age...(We are all very close)

I wish you the best of luck

Best Regards,

Woody

Chris, I was in a similar situation 15 years ago. I'll skip the details and simply say this: It was a fairytale come true for us. We love the south. Couldn't go back to NJ or MA.

Yes, we moved away from family. But guess what? Most of them have since moved down. :)

Try to buy a house with a nice guest setup, budget some money to buy your extended family some plane tickets, and include them in your life down south when they can take the time to get here. Make a commitment to spend some holidays back up north, to stay connected.

You can make it work.