Would this work?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
OK dummy question time. It has been pointed out correctly several times on this board that a hull will run faster with small airbubbles getting under the pad. For instance, generally you will run faster with a small chop on the water than you will on glass smooth water.

Here is the dummy part, What would happen if the hull of a boat were sprayed with the material that is used for spray on truck bed liners? The part that is on the hull other than the pad would have no impact on speed as it isn't in the water when the boat is on plane. I could see maybe a little performance drop from drag on the pad but how much really. If air bubbles break the adhesion to the surface maybe there would not be as much speed loss as people would expect. I am sure I am not the first to wonder about this. Has there been any studies on this that some of you in the boat industry would be aware of?

I would think the liner would really protect the hull from all the scratches we get banging around in the timber all day.

Of course getting the darn boat off the trailer could be problematic to say the least.:rolleyes:

And it would weigh a ton...that bedliner stuff is like lead.

I was thinking the same thing as Tee. From what im told that stuff is very heavy. I have it on my truck's bed and i know my tailgate weighs a good bit more then it did before they sprayed it.

We had it sprayed on our F-150 when it was new. I had never opened it as it went from the dealer straight to the company that applied it. I only opened the tailgate while shopping for the truck. I had not considered weight. Anyone here work in the liner industry?

Thanks for the input Pat.

I wasn't looking to increase the speed any. Wondering about the protection factor without a major loss of speed and performance. But then for me the non pro fisherman a small speed loss wouldn't be a killer if it would really protect the hull from the low speed rubs with sticks rocks etc....

A lot of guys that run the Susky teflon the bottoms of their river boats. They power OVER rock ledges (jet motors of course).

TOXIC

BTW Pat....I'm puttin' Sharkhide on the bottom this winter;)

Back